Super Bowl 3D Ads at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old January 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Super Bowl 3D Ads

Believe it or not:

Super Bowl Commercials: Get Out the 3-D Glasses - TIME

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I remember going to see "Andy Wahol's" Flesh for Frankenstien, back in 1973. (Warhol merely lent his name to it).

Instead of the red/blue glasses, they handed out what looked like polarized type 'sunglasses'. Apparently one lens is polarized ninety degrees to the other? At any rate, I recall being truly amazed by it.

Pretty weird movie too, rated X as I recall - for gore and violence, and some nudity.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Oohh! I remember that movie - I wondered what Wahol had to do with it. Certainly a graphic film with the intestines falling through the grate to name but one sequence.

"to know life Igor.. you must %$@$ death in the gall bladder" - doesn't make much sense now ..I guess you had to be there.
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I remember the garden shears cutting off the guy's head, and some sort of spear empaling a guy, pushing his heart OUT through his chest, and over our heads.

But hey, it was 35 years ago, I could be imagining it better than it was. Still, definitely state of the art for its time.

Warhol was essentially an executive producer - But his name gave it that 'art' brand, and made it possible to put it in 'regular' theatres, even though it was X rated. I recall seeing it at the Galleria, in Houston, TX.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:19 AM   #5
Major Player

3D in ColorCode (yellow/blue)

YouTube - Click "Watch in HD"! The 3D HD SoBe Lizard Lake Game Day Commercial!
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

Colorcode 3D has added HD and SD versions of the 3D Monsters vs Aliens trailer to its website.

ColorCode 3-D
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Dreamworks 3-D on Superbowl: Really Lame

The 3-D was blurred and the effect was minimal. Why did they even bother and how did they sell this to anyone? Twenty years ago, the Nu-Vision 3-D for the Superbowl Halftime Show and a Pepsi commercial was no more than mediocre, but it was much better than this latest effort. Is it that hard to produce 3-D on video? I guess the problem is in making it also viewable by those without the glasses. They should try putting 3-D on sub-channels, without any compromises made for non-spectacled viewers. Is there any of it online, that works well?
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #8
Major Player

That Was Nu-Optics 3-D in 1989

I called the company and process for the Superbowl halftime show in 1989, by the wrong name in the first message.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Major Player

A lot of people are complaining about the 3D in these ads and that "Chuck" TV show. I don't have amber and green glasses, so I haven't seen it. What I did notice is that it is not a problem watching these without the glasses. If they had used the red and green, it would be to annoying to watch it without glasses -the amber color is much more subtle. It seems to me they chose to do this so that people without glasses could actually watch this stuff, even if the 3D effect was not as good they were not limiting their audience as much by using amber.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I actually picked up the glasses they had distributed for this at our local RiteAid. While the 3D was noticeable, the glasses themselves were very dark, requiring that I pump up the picture on the Screen. Chuck was okay in terms of an experience, but I in no way would want to watch all my shows that way. I felt like my eyes were crosseyed at times.

Worse, I had hoped the 10 pairs of glasses would allow me to view other on line posted 3d material, but it it is clear that these glasses and the process use a different color scheme than the ones posted on line.
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I had a go at producing a colorcode compatible version of one of my clips and it worked fine in it's original state but does not work so well after encoding to H264. You can see it here:

Water and Snow 3D Stereoscopic Colorcode Compatible on Vimeo

I find that Red-Cyan holds up better when using H264, but it's still far from ideal.
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Worse, I had hoped the 10 pairs of glasses would allow me to view other on line posted 3d material, but it it is clear that these glasses and the process use a different color scheme than the ones posted on line.
Google search for "Colorcode 3D blue amber" and you will find lots of Flickr samples as well as other clips.

There's also a music video (not one of mine) encoded in ColorCode 3D.

Colorcode 3D uses amber/blue lenses. The amber lets more light in and constitutes the majority of the color tone in the image while the blue lens gives you depth cues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery