From NLE to Theatre? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

From NLE to Theatre?

Hi All

A client has asked me to investigate 3D production for a potential cinema ad. I've spend a good deal of the afternoon looking into acquisition, editing & eventual projection.

The missing link for me is how to get from NLE (say, FCP) to a format that can be handed off to the distributor. Is there a good guide anywhere on this aspect of the process?

Thanks

Peter
Peter Mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

We've discussed this in passing before but I don't think there is a thread dedicated to it.

Theatres expect to receive a Digital Cinema Package (aka DCP) that adheres to the DCI spec.
In the case of S3D that means a frame sequential 2K or 4K movie file encoded in Jpeg2000 at 48fps (24fps per eye) with PCM audio and wrapped in an MXF wrapper along with some XML meta data files.

You can have a post facility like Real-D or Deluxe prepare it (at great expense) or you can buy software like Clipster and do it yourself.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery