2 x Rebel t2i's (550D's) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
New Boot

2 x Rebel t2i's (550D's)

Gday all,

Ive spent a while trolling through here looking getting as much info as I can so thanks for everyone's discussions.

I have been doing a little testing down our way with a couple of the Rebel's so I thought I would share a little about the experience so far, even with the limitations it has been very rewarding.

Here is the link to one of the tests:

We are using a setup similar to the syndicate one that surfaced a while ago. Side by side with one of the cameras upside down giving an IO (IA?) of around 11.5cm (4.5 inches), so it was a small improvement over having them side by side normally.

Stock lenses wound back to 18mm to avoid any hiccups & shooting straight parallel. Just a clapper for syncing up shots has been fine.

Using the Dashwood plugin also helped immensely, really looking forward to the V2 release. The key part of the plugin for me has been the convergence settings (both coarse & fine) and has really helped adjust the shots to suit. The AE support in the plugin is fantastic too, very simple to use. (there is a small test at the end of the video too from AE)

The biggest lesson I have found in post is how much distance you can have in the shot. While I made sure to keep things at a far enough distance from the cameras (usually around 3-4 meters minimum), alot of the wider shots had things that are too far, making them very difficult to watch.

There is also some issues when you have very fast motion across the frame, but I havent had any major issues. To cheat a little we shot in NTSC at 30frames, then conform to 25 (PAL in OZ), making it just a little smoother.

Its not by any means a full scale professional setup, but a great learning tool. The next tests I hope to do are get the cameras on a beamsplitter and see what kind of shots are possible. Anyway just a little insight to the process. Any questions let me know. Ill be sure to share more stuff as it progresses.

Thanks again for all the great info you guys have shared.

Bwe
Nalu Productions
Bwe Weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A beam splitter to get the interaxial down will really help you a lot, there's a lot of disparity in some scenes.. The sync isn't too bad, a few shots (flags) break down about due to miss-sync. Certainly a good start though.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Alister. Hopefully we will get them on a splitter next week and I can really give them a good workout.
Bwe Weston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery