Creating DCP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Creating DCP

It is done. You will have to do frame rate conversion first. I never saw it done without seeing judder afterward, but some LCD TVs do very good judder removal, so it can be done as well.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Pavel, That's the route I took. I converted the footage to 24p and submitted it for DCP conversion. The piece is playing a big screen at LA 3DFF next week so I'll get to see first hand how well the conversion went. I'll post my feelings on the results here.
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Jesse, Can you post when your piece is screening? I'm L.A.-local as well. If I'm free, I'd love to come check it out.
Matt Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Major Player

Jesse, I am interested as well. I just got an email that 3DFF will be screening couple of my videos on TV screens there. I am near there, so I was planning to attend at least some of it.
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm going to be sitting on the Indie 3D panel which is Friday at 2:30 and my short will be showing at either the shorts 1 or shorts 2 program. I'll also be hanging out with the Robert Rig. Love to see both of you guys there.I think I have a couple extra passes. Hit me up if you need one. I have limited internet so the forum is hard for me to get onto. However, you can email me at jesseATgoatandyeti.com See you both this weekend!
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blanchard View Post
I'm going to be sitting on the Indie 3D panel which is Friday at 2:30 and my short will be showing at either the shorts 1 or shorts 2 program. I'll also be hanging out with the Robert Rig. Love to see both of you guys there.I think I have a couple extra passes. Hit me up if you need one. I have limited internet so the forum is hard for me to get onto. However, you can email me at jesseATgoatandyeti.com See you both this weekend!
I hope the screening went well, Jesse! Sorry I wasn't able to make it. I would have liked to have heard what you had to say on Indie 3D, as well.
Matt Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Reporting back on the 30p to 24p DCP conversion. The image looked great but was jumpy. No one in the audience commented or seemed to notice but I could certainly see it. I'm sure there's a way to do this and be successful. I pretty much followed the process outlined by Phillip Bloom except I used the speed up tool in FCP and turned the frame blending off to preserve the whole frames. I used a different method last year (I think doing a pulldown within AE) but can't remember exactly what I did. The results were better though.

Here's the link.

How to convert Canon 5dmk2 footage from 30p to 24p | Philip Bloom

Otherwise the festival was pretty cool. I certainly enjoyed seeing lots of other 3D buffs and seeing my own work up on the big-screen is a real kick.
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #23
Major Player

Jesse,

Is the list of the 3DFF award winners published somewhere?

IMHO any conversion will degrade the the video. I will only deal with 60p from now on, Don't want to ever deal with de-interlacing. Actually, any editing will first internally deal with progressive image - fields or frames - then re-interlace the results, if needed. If I were to do primarily movie screen work, I'd work in 24p (native, none of the pull down stuff). TV will handle anything well enough, so the only decision would be the primary target - movie screen or computer screen. Movie screen is more revealing as well.
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blanchard View Post
Reporting back on the 30p to 24p DCP conversion. The image looked great but was jumpy. No one in the audience commented or seemed to notice but I could certainly see it. I'm sure there's a way to do this and be successful. I pretty much followed the process outlined by Phillip Bloom except I used the speed up tool in FCP and turned the frame blending off to preserve the whole frames. I used a different method last year (I think doing a pulldown within AE) but can't remember exactly what I did. The results were better though.

Here's the link.

How to convert Canon 5dmk2 footage from 30p to 24p | Philip Bloom

Otherwise the festival was pretty cool. I certainly enjoyed seeing lots of other 3D buffs and seeing my own work up on the big-screen is a real kick.
every convertion is bad, specially from 30 to 24, too much frame rate difference.
If you can, is better to shoot at 25 and slow down to 24, you can see on audio the lowering of tone, but nothing about visual.
Carlo Macchiavello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery