How will small sensor sizes affect lighting for 3D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old September 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

How will small sensor sizes affect lighting for 3D?

This is probably an obvious question, but technology is getting more and more advanced, so it might not be an issue... We already know you need a ton of lights for 3D, no matter what type of camera is used. But how will small sensor sizes affect the lighting?

I remember, years ago, comparing a DVX100a to an FX1, and we had to have the Sony's iris open all the way to match the DVX100a at F3.4! We had the set lit to shoot a short film, and it was amazing to see that. Of course, have 1 million pixels on a 1/3-inch chip, you're going to lose something compared to a DV camera's 1/3-inch chip.

However, has technology overcome the pixel-count vs. sensor size issue of light sensitivity?

Heath
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Why do we need a ton of lights for 3D?

A BS rig will only cost you 1 stop. A pair of modern sensitive cameras such as EX or XF's are not going to need massive lighting rigs.
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Hey Alister,

I spoke with two experts in the field of 3D, Bernard Mendiburu and Tim Dashwood, and they both explained that you need a ton of light because stereoscope isn't as sensitive to light as 2D cameras. 3D is known for two cameras (or one camera with two lenses and a set of image sensors) and four G&E trucks worth of lights.

3dtv.fr

Dashwood Cinema Solutions

Also, shooting with a lot of dark shadows appears flat in 3D, so you need to add more light to it to bring out the textures.

Heath
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

I was also referring to only about 1 stop of loss with a beamsplitter, while emphasizing the need for parallax cues in the background. This means you couldn't shoot a film like "Seven" stereoscopically without bringing up the detail in most of the dark backgrounds, which would of course ruin the mood of those scenes. There's also the polarizers on the projectors to consider during colour correction.
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Right! I also know that Ridley Scott is going to have to grade the 3D Alien prequels in post. As he said, "The problem is you’ll have to grade it later. You’ll have to grit your teeth and light it not the way you’d like it. And then later, you’re gonna have to regrade it. Repaint it." He said that to Collider.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery