Has anyone got Cineform 3D working in Premiere CS5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old December 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Has anyone got Cineform 3D working in Premiere CS5?

Has anyone actually successfully got Cineform's 3D functionality working in Premiere CS5? I am trying but it keeps crashing and I can't get the 3D preview to work.

It would be good to find someone who has successfully done this!

/ben
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Works very well on my Mac running CS5 and FCP
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3
New Boot

I was hoping there would be more then one person with success.

It does crash a lot. Cineform suggested closing PP and opening it again from time to time, and that does help. But, you are still going to want to make frequent use of the save button.

I can't preview 3D if I don't have a check in the box fast 3D in the sequence output settings - you might try that.

As far as getting the entire work-flow to work - everything works great (except for the crashing) except I have had all kinds of trouble trying to export and there is no question my frustration level rises everyday. The sequence looks cool, but it is worthless If I can't export.
Ron Niebrugge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ron

Thanks for your feedback. Sounds like you're having similar problems to me. We couldn't get the 3D display to work at all until Cineform instructed me how to close and restart Premiere. But it's really unstable, keeps crashing and it's making working almost impossible.

We are working with Cineform to fix these problems. If you've got the same issues you should report them.

/ben
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Ben,

I have - opened a ticket on Dec 7. At one point they made a comment that someone else is also having similar problems, I'm guess it might be you. Although I wonder how many people download the trial, can't get it to work and move on with out contacting support. I'm running out of things to try, if you discover something, let me know. Thanks.
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ron

I was kind of hoping they'd get this sorted fairly soon. The problems I was having seemed fairly solveable, except for the general instability. Clearly people have got this working. Maybe we should compare notes on what kind of system we've got?

/b
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #7
New Boot

Good idea!

I have a Falcon Northwest system with a Intel i7 3.33 processor, 12 GB or ram, a ssd drive and run window 7 64 bit.

As far as the stability goes, I have also been talking to my computer manufacturer since they have such great support, and I really don't know if my problems are CineForm, Adobe or my computer for that matter. They have suggested re-installing my operating system - have you tried this?
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That's similar to my system. What graphics card do you have? I've got a Quadro 4000 which is a very new model. I keep wondering if their software doesn't fully support the GPU?!

/b
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Smith View Post
I've got a Quadro 4000 which is a very new model. I keep wondering if their software doesn't fully support the GPU?!
That is quite possible. For years, there was nVidia Tesla which much software supports. Now nVidia has created nVidia Fermi, which is a much more advanced GPU than Tesla (e.g., 64 bits vs. 32 bits) but is incompatible with the old CUDA. Old software needs to be updated to work with the Fermi version of CUDA (essentially, it just needs to be recompiled to support both Tesla and Fermi).

It is quite possible that many software companies do not even realize that the new Fermi class video cards use a different CUDA architecture. They need to download the new CUDA API from nVidia.com, read it, and fix their software. That will make their software fly.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #10
New Boot

I have the Quadro FX 3800.
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Sponsor: CineForm

i didn't really suggest closing and opening premiere 'from time to time'. my specific suggestion was - when you see premiere go into the 'bad state' as a result of the pageflip option being selected, that's when you should restart premiere. restarting premiere seems to refresh the pageflip out of the 'bad state'.

i'm glad you guys found each other here. you two are the only ones reporting issues, but playing around on my test system i'm also finding the program monitor to stretch vertically on occasion. it seems to only happen with the pageflip option selected in the timeline playback settings. we're still working on figuring out why... and how to prevent it.
Jake Segraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks for clarifying that Jake.

And, thanks for your persistence!
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Just to some additional data (although I am using neo3D with Vegas), it is working now for the most part. A couple times a day while monitoring in page flip I seem to lose the page flip and it looks to be displaying onion skin. Upon restarting Firstlight it is corrected. Not sure what is happening that causes this.

Using a Quatro 4800 on Win7 64 bit.

Brian
Old January 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #14
New Boot

I intended to reply with a follow up some time ago - better late then never!

I had a short time-lapse as part of my sequence, and that seemed to be causing my problem. Even though the time-lapse worked fine in First Light, and in Premier Pro at Cineform, it seemed to be causing a problem for me. Once I recreated the time-lapse, my problems went away.

I have to hand it to Cineforms support - they were very persistent on solving my problems, that is really all you can ask for. Since then, everything has been working great aside from the occasional crash which I think has as much to do with Nvida drivers as anything.
Ron Niebrugge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery