JVC GY-HMZ1U ProHD 3D Camcorder - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: JVC GY-HMZ1U ProHD 3D Camcorder

Still no easy solution for importing JVC 3D files into Vegas?
Just the left right splitting with recompressing? :-(
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #62
Inner Circle

already got a TD10 and NX3D1, and well with the JVC priced under $1000, i think i will give it a try.
the TD10 is great (used it while skiing and in Cuba). Great result most of the time and it plays nicely on my 55" Samsung. Unfortunately the damn 24p is missing and this requires a lot of trickery if you want to save some footage on BD. This camera is defintely ok for family use (shoot and replay later, from camera), but defintely has no place in a professional set-up.
on the other hand the NX3D1 is just the missing link (same as TD10 but with 24p) , but Wow!, almost 3 times the price of the TD10 and now 3 time the price of the JVC !
If only i could get rid of my TD10 ! But experience shows the resale value for this camera is nil and the sale price has bee cut in half since the camera was released (starting a $1500 and now you can find it at $800). It is time Sony wakes up and set the price of the NX3D1 to a reasonable level.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Well, there is another solution for Vegas if you have - at least - an older Edius or Neo Version. Then you could use the actual AVCHD2HQ converter, and could convert the JVC files to mpeg2 or the Canopus HQ or HQX codec, separated for L and R if you wish.

The codecs are free by now.

The converter will work only if there is at least an older Neo or Edius in your system.

There is only a luminance issue with both the Canopus HQand HQX codec in Vegas, but for that we have a solution (some registry entries that have to be done).

But with that you could edit the JVC footage with the quite good Canopus codecs in Vegas.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #64
Major Player

This is my experience..(Got it today....)

While I was charging the battery I watched Tim Dashwoods BluRay3D on the camera (it shipped with the camera) and I got a lot of useful tips.... (funny because the first tip was to set the battery to charge before watching the video and that was exactly what I was doing!) ...

Being the first day I left all in auto except for the parallax that I was adjusting myself while experimenting.. Actually I had the parallax menu open all the time both in REC and PAUSE.

Today it was a nice day... lot of sun.. and I have to say quality is really good. I connected the camera directly to the Samsung Series 8000 3D through the fast HDMI cable I got with the camera... Samsung immediatly recognised the FULL HD 3D Mode (MVC files) and switched itself in 3D turning on the glasses by itself... to me that was "magic".. I could immediatly see the result of my shooting and quality was great.

In the afternoon I did some editing.. just to see what would have happened ... I split the footage with the bundled sofwtare... Then... In Adobe Premiere I created a custom 3840x1080 sequence called "footage" with Left stream on the left and right stream on the right both in full res. Then I opened a new sequence called "left edit" at standard HD size, put in "footage" and moved so I was just seeing the left part and I did my editing there (just cuts and dissolves).

Once I was happy I copyied the sequenze, renamed it "right edit" and moved all the clips to the left, thus showing the right part of the macro-sequence "footage". This I did just with copy from one clip and paste to all.

In after FX I created a 3D title with a similar method. Wrote a title, made it a 3D layer, added a 3D camera (with all option active include "point of interest") and animated the layer towards the camera. Then I made a copy of this same composition. After I went back inside the compositions and moved the position of one camera 60 pixel left and in the second composition 60 pixel right (I changed the position but kept the same point of interest). Now I had my 2 graphic strams for the title.

Back to premiere and put each stream on top of the corresponding video... and I had my 2 streams, edited and with a 3D animated title.

Finally I composed the streams in TWO diffeent ways.. I made a SBS composition (squashing the two channels) and a Anaglyph version (using channelmixer + difference overlay).. Here are the results...

http://www.siroma.com/temp/myfirst3d_Anaglyph.mp4
http://www.siroma.com/temp/myfirst3d_sbs.mp4

Lots of work (and results!) for the first day...

Overall I am happy with the camera.. I will do low light test in the near future...

Up to now what I think is bad (but I knew this before getting it) is the lack of manual controls (aperture, focus, zoom) that also means too much clicking on the touch screen. It also would have been appreciated (specially because is the only difference with the TD10) more work on the "handle"... It could have had a REC button or maybe even a focus assist button. Also maybe there should have been a menu switch between external and internal mic to avoid having to unplug the cable for the external ones (just a cleaner solution). Finally they really should bundle a software for putting back together, given to HD streams, a MVC Bluray3D standard file....

Some questions...

1) Are the parallax data written somewhere in the metadata? I am asking this because somebody one day could use these data to create 3D info for after FX or similar software

2) To me SBS looses very much compared to MVC... I think it should need more brightning when exported but also.. maybe.. (mmm) If you know that you are going to distribute in SBS you should give more parallax during shopping....Am I wrong?

3) Is it possible that just to add a polarizer (that I think would improve quality of 3D) in the front I have to spend 199$ on Cyclope's adaptor ?!... We are just talking of "a bit of metal" to screw in the front... Anybody know of any alternative ?

Thanks to all
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:52 AM   #65
Regular Crew

If you want it the hard way continue to use a software that is not designed for 3D! :)

Sure sbs half has the reduced resolution, compared to MVC. That is why it is a nice idea to render to sbs-full - or to have an MVC-encoder in your software that allows you to generate a true - MVC-based - 3D-Blu-ray. There are tools that can do that - Vegas Moviestudio 12, or Vegas Pro 10/11. That tools have also their s3d plugin. But be aware that Vegas will not edit the MVC files - you have to work with the splitter.

To my opinion, the parallax data are not written in a header, but in the encoded video - the MVC stream maintaints both an independend video stream and an dependend video stream, that are muxed together. An NLE that can read that shows you the two sides in a correct way.

Wolfgang
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:37 AM   #66
Major Player

I don't understand... you speak about software not made for 3D...
What software does real 3D EDITING (not esporting.. as I understand Vegas does).
I mean... are there any softwares that let me for example make DVD transitions keeping in mind a 3D audience? Or making a title moving in 3D? I mean some software that together with position, scale, transparency... has a Z axis position... I mean.. After FX has this but it's not immediate to get it to speak with a two stream video... you have to do effects separate from the editing.. is not a 3D editing software.. and I think it doesn't exist.. Maybe I am worng
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:51 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Sure that exists. Vegas Pro, Vegas Moviestudio, Edius 6.5, Cyberlinks PD10, Magix Pro X4....

... with all that tools you have s3D plugins with different development levels, and you can shift the zero level for video, but you can also do that for titles or transitions, you can make color corrections for L or R in a separate way, and you can apply the s3D plugin to different effects. So that exists.

If you like to use CS, then think about to use CS together with the Cineform products
Cineform - you may end up with Cineformstudio Premium. Or you have a look to the Dashwood solutions for FCP or AE Stereo3D Toolbox Plugin Suite

Wolfgang
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:10 AM   #68
Major Player

So all these softwares read parrallax and lens info so to create and adapt 3d effects compatibile with the inported video?
Old August 19th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #69
Major Player

A question regarding timelapse on this camcorder. The resolution of the sensors is 3.2 mp each. Is there a setting on the timelapse that allows recording 3.2mp per channel in 3d?

Or are we stuck at 1080p even for timelapse.
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #70
Major Player

Looks like you might have to build your own intervalometer to send the appropriate IR signal for the remote "snap shot" command. Should be doable with a simple Arduino script and IR emitter.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/3D...User_guide.pdf p18 and 25
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #71
Major Player

Pg. 55
3D Still image are only 1920 by 1080.

Stupid JVC!!
Old August 19th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #72
Major Player

May still have less compression in still mode?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery