New Beamsplitter on the market. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Beamsplitter on the market.

Just came out with this version of my 3D beamsplitter. I spent a long time on the design to make something that's easy to use and delivers consistent results. Please respond with any questions about the rig. It's just out so I will either give you answers or find them out. I'm also looking for beta testers interested in a discount in exchange for feedback on the rig.

Old July 24th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: New Beamsplitter on the market.

Looks good, Jesse! Please put me on the list, as someone who's interested in beta testing!
Matt Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Glad you like it Matt! I'll PM you with details on Beta testing.
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ah, Looks compact & mobile, but what of veiner adjustments? However, with the RECTIFY ability in the new EDUIS 6.5, This could be completed in post to some degree.

Let me know of the beta testing possibilities also.
Best,
Carlton
Carlton Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm not familiar with Veiner adjustments. Can you elaborate? Seems like you'd be a great candidate for beta testing. I'll send you the scoop.
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Great looking rig, Jesse. It's definitely cheaper than most rigs.

Can one vary convergence? What if someone was used to setting interocular distance on the standard scale? Thanks for sharing!
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I shoot everything parallel and that's what the rig is built around. However, you can manually converge the cameras if you want; there's just no dial-able convergence knob...yet. The rig is built for upgrades and, if there is demand, I have plans to build a convergence thumbscrew into the rig. This upgrade will be back compatible with previous models.

Yes! You can use whatever IO scale you want. The IO scale on the rig went through a ton of revisions before I finally found a design I liked. What's great is it's actually a custom IO scale holder. So, you can use the ones that come with the rig, download and print extras scales that either I or someone else creates, or make your own. It's totally customizable. In my dreams users are creating scales and posting them here. "Here's an IO scale that works great for stuff going out to 3DS." and "Here's a short I did, I used this scale to set the depth on all the shots." etc...
Old July 28th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Jessie,
I will be be Beta testing this with two of the new SONY RX100's.
BTW- the RX100 has an onboard electronic leveler indicator. Although the camera was not designed for 3D use, the leveler is a unexpected benefit for specific 3D work.

I will upload some samples once I get EDIOUS 6.5 in full swing.
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

If possible, I would also like to participate in the beta testing. I shoot with two Sony TD10...

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Wolfgang! Send me an email at jesseATgoatandyeti.com and I'll fill you in on the details.

Last edited by Jesse Blanchard; July 29th, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: new message
Jesse Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew

You can send me the information to videotreffpunktATaon.at.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bright View Post
I will be be Beta testing this with two of the new SONY RX100's.
Off-topic: I am very curious how you sync and align these.
Matt Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Good questions Matt. I'm working on an alignment how-to video right now and will post as soon as it's done. For sync, I've used sound sync, an IR splitter to trigger both cameras, and I'm waiting to test a sync controller for my Canon's. Of course, if you're shooting with Genlocked cameras it's a non-issue.
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Matt,
I at this point,I still align manually, and sync to the closest frame in Post. (see the dance piece in the 3D reel thread).

EDIUS 6.5 offers a RECTIFY feature, ( which aligns most of the aspect of 3D).

I am still working on a way to sync the clips before stereopticly setting the paired clips.
EDIUS may come out with a method of their own soon, (I am sure they wiil)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Regular Crew

There is no good way to pair clips in Edius, if they do not have a real timecode - what is true for all consumer AVCHD cameras. Beside the synchronisation - what means that the reading from the CMOS starts within a certain time frame - there is no synchronisation of the start point of recording. So you can end up with the situation, that two clips have difference start points - one clip starts maybe 2 or 3 frames earlier, compared with the second clip. For my two TD10, it can be zero, but can also go up to 2 or 3 or 4 frames also.

If that happens you have to adjust that.

Not the focus of that thread, but what seems to work is that - as a first workflow:

What I did was to put the two clips in the timeline - in 1VA and 2VA. Then adjust the clips according to the waveform - what is not really new in s3d without a timecode. Then I trim the clips at the end and at the beginning in the timeline - so both clips have the same length. Then I move both clips into the bin (there seems to be no way to pair the clips in the timeline) - with the mouse by drag and drop. And pair them in the bin. The paired bin can be used in a s3d project - the original clips in the timeline can be deleted.

Not very comfortable - but the best what can be done if you do not have timecodes and genlock.

This process seems to be not foreseen in Edius, since there is no way to pair the two trimmed clips in the timeline. This workflow is similar to what I do in Vegas - but more complicated since here it is foreseen to pair the clips in the timeline. So if you work with two consumer AVCHD camcorders, the support by Edius could be better.

If there is a better way how that can be done I would be happy to learn that I am wrong. Please tell me.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery