The current 3D is just a first step at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Major Player

The current 3D is just a first step

I think that the problems with current implementation of 3D is just a beginning. Glasses will go and multiview will come. I liked some of the work presented here:
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: The current 3D is just a first step

Multiview currently has much, much more problems than glasses based stereo 3D. The whole eco system around MV AS3D is simply missing. It's just a bunch of science experiments at the moment. I'd say it's 5 years out at best.

I think if glasses-free is going to work anytime soon, it has to be stereo and NOT multiview. This will allow for much higher image quality - something which plagues all multiview displays at the moment.
Roger Dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow, of course it is only in the future. Progress will only happen with "bunch of science experiments". Every new technology starts that way. It will go like the video says starting from science, technology and medical applications. I didn't try to imply it is around the corner. The lenticular and parallax barrier screens have been around for a while and are a step into the right direction, I think. I have some of these displays. Very few people are asking to see it again after they saw it once. In social viewing, such as TVs and movies, multiview will be essential. People just plain don't like glasses, tolerate them at best. The other day I went with my wife to an antique shop where there was perfectly functioning 3D viewer that was 160 years old. Not too many of my friends and family are asking to see my perfectly good Gadmei parallax barrier viewer either - so the L/R stereo adaptation is taking a while. The repeat users are enthusiast like us and people who need 3D to do their tasks. The rest are waiting for something better.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #4
New Boot

More than 50% of the movies at the cinema are showing in 3D. This wouldn't be the case if glasses were such a pain. Don't get me wrong, I'd love glasses free and have even seen / developed technology that was very compelling in this area. It can be successful in the near future but it needs to support the existing ecosystem.
Roger Dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Removed by Pavel.

Last edited by Pavel Houda; September 8th, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: don't feel like discussing it anymore.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery