DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Additional Camera Support Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/)
-   -   Hard case for just $36! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/10078-hard-case-just-36-a.html)

Stylianos Moschapidakis May 25th, 2003 04:06 PM

Hard case for just $36!

If you don't want to spend $100+ for a hard case, you can make one for only $36!

Here is what you need (rather, here is what I got to make a hard case for my pd150):
1)Two hours of your time;
2) A "Craftsman" 18'' Metal Tool Box from Sears --$14.99; and
3)Three packs of "Frost King" Rubber Foam Weatherseal Self Stick Tape --1 1/4'' wide, 7/16'' thick, 10' long-- from Home Depot --$6.98 each.

Now all you need to do is dress the whole interior of the tool box with one (or two) layer(s) of the foam tape, then place your camera inside the now dressed box, and finally use the rest of the foam tape (which you can cut) to build a "safety-wall" around your camera for protection.

I actually purchased two of those tool boxes and will use the other one to store my camera's accessories.

I like the metal tool box, however you can use a plastic one; I saw some pretty good "Craftsman" ones at Sears.

Andrew Petrie May 25th, 2003 04:40 PM

I'm not quite picturing it, could you provide some pictures? :)

I went to the Buildig Box this weekend and picked up an aluminum toolcase. Made by ToolTech (how lame), but it comes with tear-away foam block to double as a camera box. I did away with the tool pieces, and cut out what I needed.

It's big enough to fit two XL1 lenses, so currently it houses my IS II lens, and I'll cut another space for the 3x wide lens. I also cut out a few slots for filter cases :) $30 CDN, can't go wrong.

Dylan Couper May 25th, 2003 05:03 PM

Here's one I made last year.

http://www.virtualdylan.homestead.com/stuff.html

Stylianos Moschapidakis May 25th, 2003 05:18 PM

Dylan, great job! Your case is very, very similar to the one I made. Instead of styrofoam and speaker carpet I used rubber foam self stick tape; you know, the stuff you use to seal around windows and doors.

Andrew, pictures coming up soon.

Roze Ann May 26th, 2003 07:29 AM

WAAAAYYY COOOOOLLL!

Hey fellas..thanks for the terrific tips and photos. Best of all the case does NOT sing out "I'm a super expensive, professional camera..steal me" like those really nice custom cases do. I've kept my tiny Hi-8 camcorder in a purple, portable lunch bag with the insulation stuff built in. Easier to see 'cause the interior is white and folks think it's just a lunch bag. I've never worried about it being stolen (have had gear swiped before). COOOOOL! Love this site!

Keith Loh May 26th, 2003 10:22 AM

I'll vouch for Dylan's conversion. It's tough. I've kicked it many times on purpose. I mean by accident.

Bryan Beasleigh May 26th, 2003 10:49 AM

Tool boxes say steal me as well

Tool boxes are targets for thieves as well. In fact one of those aluminum equipment cases is about first on the list

I travel with a van loaded with tools and very pricey test gear. When they break in, the cowardly pond scum grab as much as they can. They go for the equipment cases or computer bags first. They've never interfered with a cooler though. Some of those newer soft sided roll around beer coolers have potential.

My wife came home with a Nissan picnic hamper. For $4.99 with her latest oil change. It has a heavy fabric exterior and lots of padding. The plastic liner was held in with velcro. It fits my 9" JVC field monitor and cables perfectly

I travel with a Porta Brace bag. it's expensive but if you don't know what the logo is you think it's a carry on bag full of shaving gear , underwear and socks. It doesn't even whisper "steal me".

Nigel Moore May 26th, 2003 11:29 AM

I have the Canon hardcase for the XL1s. The camcorder sits on a fairly flimsy board and is fixed with two velcro straps. Pretty lame in comparison to Dylan's snug-looking conversion.

My only consolation is that it cost me nothing. Nada. Rien.

Andrew Petrie May 26th, 2003 12:15 PM

Re: Tool boxes say steal me as well

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Tool boxes are targets for thieves as well. In fact one of those aluminum equipment cases is about first on the list
-->>>

Agreed Bryan, I just felt the vinyl pouch to be...lacking (in every way imaginable) and I can't spend the asking price on a Porta Brace right now. :) I do havea PB rainslicker though.

Rob Lohman May 27th, 2003 06:20 AM

I have a plastic toolbox which houses my XL1s and some extra
stuff. Doesn't scream steal me too much

Nathan Gifford May 27th, 2003 12:18 PM

One of the best cheap boxes around is the Sears TruckTote. Its hard to beat, and good thing too!

John Threat May 28th, 2003 10:09 AM

the canon hc300 silver case, screams steal me. and it sucks.

It wont hold all my gear. i need a new case

Nigel Moore May 28th, 2003 10:35 AM

I agree.

And to think I could've got an MA-200 instead.

I suck. :-(