Hard case for just $36! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hard case for just $36!

If you don't want to spend $100+ for a hard case, you can make one for only $36!

Here is what you need (rather, here is what I got to make a hard case for my pd150):
1)Two hours of your time;
2) A "Craftsman" 18'' Metal Tool Box from Sears --$14.99; and
3)Three packs of "Frost King" Rubber Foam Weatherseal Self Stick Tape --1 1/4'' wide, 7/16'' thick, 10' long-- from Home Depot --$6.98 each.

Now all you need to do is dress the whole interior of the tool box with one (or two) layer(s) of the foam tape, then place your camera inside the now dressed box, and finally use the rest of the foam tape (which you can cut) to build a "safety-wall" around your camera for protection.

I actually purchased two of those tool boxes and will use the other one to store my camera's accessories.

I like the metal tool box, however you can use a plastic one; I saw some pretty good "Craftsman" ones at Sears.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm not quite picturing it, could you provide some pictures? :)

I went to the Buildig Box this weekend and picked up an aluminum toolcase. Made by ToolTech (how lame), but it comes with tear-away foam block to double as a camera box. I did away with the tool pieces, and cut out what I needed.

It's big enough to fit two XL1 lenses, so currently it houses my IS II lens, and I'll cut another space for the 3x wide lens. I also cut out a few slots for filter cases :) $30 CDN, can't go wrong.
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #3
Wrangler

Here's one I made last year.

http://www.virtualdylan.homestead.com/stuff.html
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dylan, great job! Your case is very, very similar to the one I made. Instead of styrofoam and speaker carpet I used rubber foam self stick tape; you know, the stuff you use to seal around windows and doors.

Andrew, pictures coming up soon.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

WAAAAYYY COOOOOLLL!

Hey fellas..thanks for the terrific tips and photos. Best of all the case does NOT sing out "I'm a super expensive, professional camera..steal me" like those really nice custom cases do. I've kept my tiny Hi-8 camcorder in a purple, portable lunch bag with the insulation stuff built in. Easier to see 'cause the interior is white and folks think it's just a lunch bag. I've never worried about it being stolen (have had gear swiped before). COOOOOL! Love this site!
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #6
Air China Pilot

I'll vouch for Dylan's conversion. It's tough. I've kicked it many times on purpose. I mean by accident.
Old May 26th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Tool boxes say steal me as well

Tool boxes are targets for thieves as well. In fact one of those aluminum equipment cases is about first on the list

I travel with a van loaded with tools and very pricey test gear. When they break in, the cowardly pond scum grab as much as they can. They go for the equipment cases or computer bags first. They've never interfered with a cooler though. Some of those newer soft sided roll around beer coolers have potential.

My wife came home with a Nissan picnic hamper. For $4.99 with her latest oil change. It has a heavy fabric exterior and lots of padding. The plastic liner was held in with velcro. It fits my 9" JVC field monitor and cables perfectly

I travel with a Porta Brace bag. it's expensive but if you don't know what the logo is you think it's a carry on bag full of shaving gear , underwear and socks. It doesn't even whisper "steal me".
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #8
Major Player

I have the Canon hardcase for the XL1s. The camcorder sits on a fairly flimsy board and is fixed with two velcro straps. Pretty lame in comparison to Dylan's snug-looking conversion.

My only consolation is that it cost me nothing. Nada. Rien.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Re: Tool boxes say steal me as well

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Tool boxes are targets for thieves as well. In fact one of those aluminum equipment cases is about first on the list
-->>>

Agreed Bryan, I just felt the vinyl pouch to be...lacking (in every way imaginable) and I can't spend the asking price on a Porta Brace right now. :) I do havea PB rainslicker though.
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

I have a plastic toolbox which houses my XL1s and some extra
stuff. Doesn't scream steal me too much

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #11
Wrangler

One of the best cheap boxes around is the Sears TruckTote. Its hard to beat, and good thing too!

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:09 AM   #12
Major Player

the canon hc300 silver case, screams steal me. and it sucks.

It wont hold all my gear. i need a new case
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #13
Major Player

I agree.

And to think I could've got an MA-200 instead.

I suck. :-(
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics