Handholding Tips? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 16th, 2004, 05:06 AM   #16
RED Code Chef

I think handhold can be quite effective, especially in franatic
situations like a riot / war etc. But, most pro's seem to take
the camer "handhold" by placing it on their shoulder!
This does allow them to give it a bit more lively feel, but not
have it jump all over the place. Sometimes they also have two
handles below the camera to handle it better and also
stabalize it a bit futher. I'm gonna see if I can make something
myself for the XL1S, would be nice to have.

B&H seems to have such a thing (note: I haven't tested it, so
I don't know how well this works or doesn't!). Check it out here.

There is also a less expensive version from Varizoom here.
I imagine it will be harder to hold with only one hand(le) though.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #17
Regular Crew

According to most manufacturers, it seems that consumers want smaller and lighter camcorders. And that gives shaky handheld shots! A bigger and heavier one is easier to hold and operate.

After fifteen years with a low-end consumer camcorder, I ended up using the tripod ALL the time. I've come to hate my handheld shots, and the Digital Image Stabiliser doesn't help much. It's a bit better with a wide-angle adapter over the lens.

But one way to develop the right posture and move for handheld shots is to practice with... a BOWL OF HOT SOUP!
You can't shake that without getting burnt! And it demands the same kind of moves to maintain proper horizontal stability.
So the next time you go to a Chinese Buffet, go back and forth from the buffet to your table with your Won-Ton soup and try different postures!!!
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #18
Trustee

For handheld I use the marzpak™. Now I hang on, shoot and
have fun while the marzpak does the "work".

http://www.marztech.com

PS I am affiliated with the company ;)
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #19
Contributor

For me I can handhold a 20 pound shoulder mount camera rock solid, but I have a more difficult time with the lightweight "handycam" type cameras. Most of the above suggestions are good, especially keeping elbows in. I also take a deep breath and exhale slowly while shooting. If you have to breath in, you usually get a camera motion. Of course the number one thing is to shoot at a wide angle. The minute you zoom in, you're screwed for a solid hand held shot. Best thing to do is get some kind of shoulder mount, as Beasleigh suggested, if you need to do a lot of handheld work.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #20
Trustee

I'll second the Marzpak, it's the best money i ever spent. You actually get more for your dollar on this one. Superb workmanship and great customer service. The rig really works.

For a low cost and hands only I had mentioned the mini Rover., The mini rover is a grip that allows you to add a mic and /or a receiver as well as maintain a steady grip on the camera.

With the mini rover held to your chest, your upper arms and elbows are locked into your upperbody. The only way the camera can shake is if your whole body shakes. The camera moves in concert with your whole upper body and you can reduce even a heaving ship or bumpy jeep ride to a controlled roll.

For $450 you can have the whole enchilada, the MarzPak and the Mini Rover.

For an extra few bucks the MarPak has an add on fanny pak that will hold 8 cold ones and two king cans , one on either side.
You can strap a whole lot of gear to that puppy and carry it in comfort.

Like I said , this thread has been repeated more than a few times. Using search will open up a lot of info. It's easier to search than type in all of the same info every few weeks.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #21
Contributor

> 6. - When In need to walk, I just walk different...
> I probably look like a dork... but it helps a lot...
> I´ts like stealth mode.. I couldn´t explain in words..
> but after a while my knees hurt.

Oh this really rings a bell with me. My knees now *always* hurt after I shoot with my PDX10, I seem to be walking in a way that put's a lot of strain on my knees and lower back. Perhaps that is subject matter for another thread but I still would like to ask... anybody here have experience dealing with the knee pain?
Old January 17th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #22
Inner Circle

All the time but it has nothing to do with the way I walk holding a video camera.
If your kness hurt doing the Groucho walk loosen up a little but remember walking like that for an extended period of time is not really how our legs were made to work. Keep your shots shorter OR you might need to look into some sort of vested stabilising device.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #23
Major Player

i went through this a few weeks ago, i got a new camera (dvx-100a) and the shots were beautiful but shaky.

everyone told me to get a mini-rover but i resisted, i finally got one and i wouldn't give it up for anything.

there is that stupid looking thing you were on your back and the camera dangles over your head, but a steadi shot isn't worth looking that stupid :)

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #24
Trustee

Mathew
The Marzpak's beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The workmanship is fantastic and the rig looks very professional, it also works a damn site better then any of those shoulder mounts. The braces with the dual arms mounted at arms length are nothing but a cool looking backbreaker.

That was the best value I've seen so far as video gear goes.

I believe it was me that turned you onto the Rover and now you tell me I look stupid. Oh well. I forgive you. (My Mum taught me how to use guilt :)))
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #25
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

FWIW, I know that Marzpak, or a similar cable suspension device, is rather popular with full-size camera operators. In their case I believe that the attraction is principally that of load redistribution.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:29 AM   #26
Trustee

"In their case I believe that the attraction is principally that of load redistribution."

It puts the load on your hips.
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #27
Major Player

I´ll mention three reasons why I might use handheld.

1. - Sometimes I might just want to blend in with the tourists... The XM-2 VX2000 or whatever allready looks to big... Even a MiniRover will make you stand out too much. But still I want to get the best shot possible.

2. - Sometimes I might be "The Tourist".. I still want to get a great shot. And probably I won´t be packing a tripod to haul around. I´m a very light travel tourist.

3. - Handheld shots are an artistic option, the same as a travelling or a crane... When used right they can be very powerfull.. but just because it´s a handheld shot it doesn´t mean it has to be "shaky" like lot of wannabe Dogma style I´ve seen around.
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #28
Wrangler

How about a helmet cam fastened to a set of glasses?
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #29
Major Player

i think a helmet cam, or better yet a full size camera on a football helmet would look more stylish, would get all of those people with the marzipan thingie jealous!

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:22 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Two and a half years old, but still an excellent thread. Stuck.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics