Accessory shoe mounted top handles? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics

Old September 3rd, 2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Accessory shoe mounted top handles?

I have been trying to hunt down a handle for smaller MiniDV cams that could be attatched to the shoe mount. I'd like a removable handle similar to the AG-DVC30, that would give my tiny camcorder the added functionality of prosumer models with top handles like the VX series, GL-2,etc...I searched and found very limited info about homemade versions, but am looking for something to buy that is a one piece affair.

The only reason I can think of that nobody has manufactured one that I can find, is maybe the shoe mount isn't strong enough to support the camera? But my cam is VERY light, and I'm sure this kind of handle would be fine.

I already have a flash L-bracket that I use, so please don't recommend those. A real top handle would help for lower angle, skaeboarding-y shots.

I would like to avoid making my own because, well, my designs usually are over-involved/over-complicated, so I guess if any of you guys have good design ideas (specific shoe mount adapters, handle materials, and attatching methods), please reply with those also.

All replies on the subject of top handles are welcome (even if it's just a story about how handy they have been for you). Thanks in advance for any replies.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2004, 07:30 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Accessory shoe mounted top handles?

<<<-- Originally posted by Jesse Bekas : I have been trying to hunt down a handle for smaller MiniDV cams that could be attatched to the shoe mount. I'd like a removable handle similar to the AG-DVC30, that would give my tiny camcorder the added functionality of prosumer models with top handles like the VX series, GL-2,etc...I searched and found very limited info about homemade versions, but am looking for something to buy that is a one piece affair.

The only reason I can think of that nobody has manufactured one that I can find, is maybe the shoe mount isn't strong enough to support the camera? But my cam is VERY light, and I'm sure this kind of handle would be fine.
--------------------------------

Perhaps you would but a manufacturer of such an arm would not have any idea of who will place it on what camcorder. I could see a lot of damage claims by folks who miscalculated. I'd be surprised if anyone would make one for sale.

--------------------------------
I already have a flash L-bracket that I use, so please don't recommend those. A real top handle would help for lower angle, skaeboarding-y shots.

I would like to avoid making my own because, well, my designs usually are over-involved/over-complicated, so I guess if any of you guys have good design ideas (specific shoe mount adapters, handle materials, and attatching methods), please reply with those also.

All replies on the subject of top handles are welcome (even if it's just a story about how handy they have been for you). Thanks in advance for any replies. -->>>

A more universal handle might be one where the bracket was in the shape of an 'O' with the camcorder mounted on the inside bottom and the handle mounted on the outside top. You could also grasp the 'O' anyplace necessary to allow positioning of the camera.

Maybe a couple of crossed 'O's so if you dumped on something like a skateboard, the camera would have a fighting chance.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Major Player

I believe there is already a style of "flash bracket" that wraps around the cam like a sideways U to provide a "handle" while being connected to the 1/4" tripod mount.

You have a very interesting idea about creating a "MiniDV Rollcage" of sorts for skate shooting or other dangerous moving shots...hmmm.

I think in the end I'll probably fabricate a plain handle that attatches to a lockable shoe mount adapter (and maybe trademark and create "The MiniDV Rollcage" while I'm at it!).

Anybody else with any good ideas like Mike's?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a Sony TRV950 with a cheap shotgun mike mounted in a plastic bracket on the hot shoe (hey, it's at least better than the onboard mike). I find myself using the mike and the bracket as a handle to carry it around, and also to get some interesting low shots.

I'm sort of afraid the bracket or the hot shoe will eventually break off and my cam will smash into the ground, but it seems strong enough for this relatively light camera.

Does anyone else "abuse" their equipment this way, and has it ever caused a problem?
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Major Player

I've heard a lot of people claim they carry their smaller cams around by an external mic sometimes, when not using it to get audio. This is why I figured somebody must have a made a real handle that could use the shoe. Maybe I'll get a sturdy mic mount, put some cylinder or half-cylinder through it, drill into both, and screw them together.

While that doesn't sound too hard, I would have preferred something premade with another shoe mount on it.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics