Walk & talks over rough terrain - recommended stabilization method? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Tourist

Walk & talks over rough terrain - recommended stabilization method?

Hi all,

I'll be shooting a tour group in Israel that will be doing quite a bit of hiking in some pretty rough desert locations. I'll also be needing to do some walk & talks.

I'm looking for a stabilization method for my EX1 that is both portable, as I'll need to be carrying it on my Kata HB207 backpack for hours at a time, while not sacrificing too much smoothness while walking & shooting - but I'd rather save my back over having Steadicam-like footage :)

I've used the Glidecam HD4000 with wrist brace, but I have a feeling that will get quite heavy on the back, not to mention I probably couldn't shoot longer than a few minutes at a time, given its weight coupled with the weight of the EX1.

I don't have experience but have heard good things about the DV MultiRigPro and FigRig. Also, if weight is going to end up being the main restriction, I could probably switch to using my lighter second camera, the JVC HM100U, for my moving shots, although I'd like to use the EX1 if possible.

Any recommendations?
Ryan Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The multirig might be a good option IMO - I've got a "homebrew" version I use (can't afford the real deal). Main thing, particularly with "hiking" is to get the weight transferred off your back, and to your waist/hips, or you'lll probably discover new levels of pain.

The belt and upright shaft take the load off your arm/back, and you'll find it fairly easy to maintain a stable shot - having two handles keeps your level/horizon, the shoulder support also helps keep you pointed straight and the upright will reduce/prevent fatigue so you won't get shaky. It's not going to be a running rig, but if you practice, you'll be able to get fairly stable footage, even while moving, just be careful on uneven terrain. Better to move and set in a spot, at which time the rig will more or less turn you into a stable shooting platform.

Your time with the Glidecam should give you a good start - you better understand the dynamics/physics. It sounds like what you need is a compact portable rig though - and of everything I've seen out there, the DVMultiRig is probably your absolute best bang for the buck in a reaqdy made solution. I wouldn't trade my homebrew version for anything, 'cept the actual real deal. I have mine with a stretch strap added so I can actually let go of the thing and walk around without worry, sits on my shoulder like a parrot, camera at the ready!

IIRC Danny who designed and builds the MultiRig, pops up around here from time to time, is in Israel, so maybe you can pick up and get a factory tour too!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably look at the multirig then! By the way, you don't have pictures of your homebrew unit do ya?
Ryan Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have to remember to take some and post them, the main thing is it's not foldable, so it's a bit less versatile and significantly less compact... but it does the job! Of course I'd love to have the spring loaded upright instead of a monopod as well, but again, it's the general design that seems to solve the problem the best - shoulder extension/dual hand grips, and and belt mount/support rod.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics