new HD is it worth the effort ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics

Old January 13th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #1
New Boot

new HD is it worth the effort ?

I am considering buying a new Sony HD to upgrade my 4 years
old PD-150.

Is it a good idea ? Is it a real upgrade to the final result ?
Will I have to put more money in new acc. player NLE etc.?

Yuli.
Yuli Krudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Sony HD

Yuli,

I saw the new Sony HD at the Consumer Electronic Show this month (Jan) and found it to be interesting. I think it's a bit bigger than the PD-150 and has the flip out monitor that sits on top of the camera which is good except for when you shoot overhead and can't see the monitor like you can with side mounted monitors.

Another thing that Sony goofed up on is the HD camera doesn't have 24P. I talked with some of the reps and let them know that if Sony wants to capture the "film-like" crowd they need to get with it. Since (I believe) the Sony's picture is one the par with the XL2 or DVX100a they could have sold a lot more cameras because the Sony cameras have much better and cleaner low light capability and much of regular shooting is done under less that perfect lighting.

Maybe they'll get the picture (no pun intended) and do some electrical reworking then come out with an "a" model.

Terry

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Sony HD

<<<-- Originally posted by Terry Thompson :

Maybe they'll get the picture (no pun intended) and do some electrical reworking then come out with an "a" model.
-->>>

Very wishfull thinking, Terry! Keep dreaming like we all do!

Unfortunately Sony's agenda is not to mess with their higher priced 24p products, and they care very little for us poor mortals.

Apparently they delivered the FX1 and will deliver the Z1 to slow-down Panasonic's and Canon's share of the film-makers market. Just look at the respective price tags ($ 3,500 and $ 5,000).

But you can still do "near 24p" shoots by using PAL version in FX1 and 50i in Z1.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics