Taking it to the Beach at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 4th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Taking it to the Beach

Just bought a Manfrotto 501,755bk kit and am planning to use some times to tape kite-surfing.

Two major problems come to mind:

1. its on the beach

2. it must be a very windy beach for the kites so sand may become "airborne"

What special care can I have before/during/after the shooting in order to keep the tripod/head working?

I know its not a great idea to mix sand salt and video...but they only kitesurf on the beach :)

Thanks for all the advice and for the great forum,
Paulo
Paulo Figueiredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Paulo,

A custom rain slicker from Kata or Porta-Brace will work wonders for keeping sand and other debris out of your camera. For your tripod head, try wrapping a scarf or some other kind of simple protective fabric around it. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #3
MicroDolly Hollywood

Also, make sure you do this -- go to your local hardware store and buy three tiles or anything that is lightweight, round, and flat (about 6 to 12 inches across.) You'll need this to spread out the weight of your tripod/camera so that your sticks don't sink in the sand...
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #4
Trustee

I film a lot at various beaches. The suggestions so far a very good especially the one about the tripod legs. I got sand in mine last year and am still trying to get it out.

I have a few other suggestions.

- Have a ND filter and polarizer filter to use as necessary to give you a little more latitude on setting exposure at the optimum/desired level.

-Be sure to manual white balance especially in early morning or sundown since the lighting changes so dramatically.

- If not using some kind of camera cover tape over the cassette door with painters tape (blue stuff).

- Thoughly clean the exterior of the camera at the end of the day.

- Change tapes only in a protected area.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark W.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #5
New Boot

Another thing you're going to want to be especially careful of is getting any sort of sand on the lens/filter. Make sure to bring along some sort of lens cleaning fabric (stay away from any cleaning fluid; sand and dirt are attracted to it.) Compressed air, like you use to clean computer fans and keyboards, works wonders as well.

And in case you don't already, get a UV filter. It's a lot easier to clean sand off the filter than it is to clean the lens, and if the filter gets scratched (sand does WONDERS for glass) it's a lot cheaper to replace than the lens, or probably the whole camera. Make sure the filter's screwed in tight, but some dust/sand is likely to stray in anyway. You may want to have a "safe" (i.e., out of the sand/wind) area to take off the filter and clean the lens throughout the day.
Colin Wyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just don't turn the cans of air upside down while shooting air into your camer. It coud freeze something instantly and do some damage. Thats my 2 cents. I hope I see those shots on tv sometime. Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics