Various SLC posts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics

Old October 26th, 2002, 08:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Various SLC posts

Camera Support equipment site

For those of you that are looking for ideas on Dollys, Jib's, Cranes, Steadicam stuff, here's a link to a site that has all the above, and if you want, they will share plans on how to make them. They also show a lot of professional gear, so if your looking for ideas and are working on a budget, I suggest going to this site and looking around. They also have a a lot of links to other sites that have made music videos and commercials using the gear shown.

here's the link: http://www.homebuiltstabilizers.com/
Steven Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 09:50 AM   #2
Warden

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting the link. Your help is appreciated.

As a new member I would like to welcome you and introduce you to an often over looked feature. Many of the topics covered in the past can be found by using the search button in the upper right row of buttons. A wealth of information and links can be found with simple searches. Again, welcome and glad to have you here.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 07:13 PM   #3
Warden

Dolphin Rack Product Review

Harold Greene and Curtis Media Company www.dolphinrack.com has found a solution to a long time problem I’ve had. I have looked for years and years for a device to hold accessories on location. How hard could this be? Well, harder than I could have ever imagined. Carts, clamps, caddies, bags and numerous other devices have all met with mixed success. Some were limited in size or weight of devices they could accommodate. Others lacked reliability, dependability, and quality construction.

Harold Greene has solved all my previous complaints with his latest product, the Dolphin Rack. Over the past several months I’ve had the chance to use the Dolphin Rack in many different configurations on various production locations. The Dolphin rack is almost infinitely variable in configuration. It accommodates various tripod designs and configurations. I used it successfully with several Bogen designs (single tube) and a Vinten (dual stage) and it can be configured to accommodate almost any present day design.

The fit, finish and overall quality of construction are excellent. The major components are drilled and fitted with different components to accommodate different brackets and fasteners. This extreme engineering is what allows so many different accessories to be attached. At all times the tripod remained stable and secure. This includes having a laptop, various small monitors, waveform/vectorscope, and on more than one occasion soft drinks and lunch.

I was very pleased, even surprised by the stability of the Dolphin Rack. Hanging my Ti Powerbook off a tripod is not something I would ordinarily do. At first I was hesitant of the strength and security the Rack would provide. However, my fears were quickly laid to rest. The laptop sat safe and secure atop the Rack while I panned and tilted to follow hawks in flight. But the TiBook only weighs a little over 5 pounds. How would it perform with much heavier loads, like a Sony 8045 field production monitor? The additional weight and size is no problem for the Rack. The monitor rested safely on the rack through several indoor shoots. The weight limit is rated to 15 lbs. but I feel it could safely hold more. While I don't personally use zoom controls (nor did I test this configuration) an accessory swing arm bracket, to hold the control brackets, is available. The arm does double duty as it can also hold battery belts and helps organize cable clutter.

How does the rack treat your tripod? I’m happy to report that my Vinten tripod, with light grey finish, doesn’t show a mark from the Dolphin Rack. The clamping surfaces are all covered with pliable rubber or felt to protect all mounting surfaces. The fastening hardware is ¼ inch aluminum that screw into stainless steel inserts. This attention to detail not only makes it easier to mount and remove, but lends a heightened sense of security when using it with your expensive gear.

You are probably wondering how I managed to mount so many different accessories. The Dolphin Rack is available with various size angle brackets and mounting arms. Again, all are beautifully machined and finished aluminum construction. Numerous mounting holes are drilled in all the right locations to make custom configurations a breeze. The attention to detail is evident in the smoothly finished edges and carefully rounded angles. No chance of cuts or scratches on your hands and little chance of marring your gear.

Downsides? Well, if you carry all the brackets, angles and knobs for all the various configurations the weight adds up. I found carrying my laptop very convenient and will standardize my field kit for just that configuration. The beautiful black finish gets a little hot in the Florida sun. I would appreciate a choice of a lighter color to minimize heat, not only on my hands, but also my gear.

I highly recommend the Dolphin Rack to both studio and location videographers, hey even still photographers can benefit from the convenience. It has won a place in my location kit and will sit happily on my light grey (read cool to the touch) Vinten for many years to come. After using it for just a few months it has become an indispensable production aid. The regular price is $179.95 and a NAB special is running and you can save $30.00 on the basic kit. The C and I brackets, extra L brackets and extra knobs are sold separately. Contact Harold Greene for additional savings during the NAB sale.

Jeff Donald

Harold has just notified me that a lighter color will also be available.
Old April 4th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #4
New Boot

Fluidity in the sagittal plane?

Hello,

I'm fairly new to DV production equipment. I have an XL1S and a Quantaray Titan II tripod.

Smooth left - right panning is no problem, but I have trouble panning up and down smoothly. If I loosen the handle all the way, gravity pulls the front end of the camera down. If I tighten it at all, the up - down panning is jerky.

Basically, do I need to loosen it all the way and just hold the camera all the time? Or are there better tripods which somehow allow for smooth up - down panning? Or is there a way to counterbalance the XL1S?

Thanks for any info.

Patrick
Patrick Lipawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #5
Warden

That tripod is totally unsuitable for use with the XL1S. Return it to Ritz Camera (they have a great return policy) and investigate some of the lesser expensive models mentioned in various threads here. Use the search function and look for Bogen, Libec, Miller and you'll get some ideas. The Libec is the most popular inexpensive model. Bogen offers a better range of tripods and heads but are more costly. Bogen's hold their value better, should you decide to sell it. They are also built to last a lifetime. Miller offers some truly professional tripods at great prices. Do and search and ask questions when they come to mind.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 5th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Now on the website with photos: http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camsu...olphinrack.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Ken Tanaka

I want to go someplace to check out things like the Miller or Bogen Tripods and other equipment I might want to purchase in the future and I am not lucky enough to live in New York close to B&H. Since you're in Chicago what are there some places around here I could go to see a lot of cool stuff. I don't want to throw down for an expensive tripod without being able to handle it a bit first.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 12:51 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hi Rob,
Helix Photo & Video may be your best local opportunity to actually lay hands on some of this gear. I don't think they carry Miller but they do carry the Bogen/Manfrotto line.

I have a Miller DS-10 and a Sachtler DV-6. If you're interested I'm sure we can arrange an opportunity for you to pop over to my home (downtown) to take a look at them. Jot me an email if you're interested.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

"Snorri Cam" Body Mounted Camera POV Vest

Hey, I'm new here. I'm a Video Production major at Ohio University looking to put together some things to put me ahead of the competition. One thing that really gets me going is the "Snorri Cam" from Darren Aranofsky movies such as Requiem for a Dream and Pi. It's the body mounted camera that keeps the person still in frame while the background moves frantically around. Here is the only picture of something like it that I have found to duplicate:

http://www.doggicam.com/bodymount.htm

My camera is a Sony VX-2000 which obviously weighs much less than that 16mm camera, denoting a much lighter weight rig. If I made the arms like the ones in that picture, what type of construction in the vest would best fit the weight distribution of my hanging camera? I'm looking for a very very thin vest, one that can fit under a wardrobe when necessary. Thanks for any help! Hopefully someone else shares my interest in this rig.

And yes I know you can get pretty decent results by merely having the actor hold the camera, but that just doesn't seem to be a very professional way to do it, now does it? :) Plus I'd like for the actor's hands to be free.

Thanks again,
Spencer Houck
shouck@neo.rr.com
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

hi (high?) hats

These are little tripods about 3 inches high, that your fluid head can fit into, right? Where do you get them? How much are they? I thought I read they were around $300. . .that can't be right, can it?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:42 PM   #11
Air China Pilot

ZGC has some.

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/902a2548f...f?OpenDocument
Old September 18th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Top Handle?

I am going to get a pdx10 and I want to film while i snowboard, I have learned it is comfortable to have a handle on the top like the xl1 or pd1-50 has. Is there any company that makes one? Thanks guys!
James
James Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Versatile Camera Mounts for DV, Full Size and Film

www.ultracameramounts.com
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Camera Mounts

These include car, bike and dolly mounts.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Ron Dexter site....

I don't know if this was post before...

In Ron Dexter site you can find useful info about operating camera supports: tripods, cranes, dollies, Inertial Camera Stabilization, Gyroscopic Camera Stabilizations.........and more.

http://www.rondexter.com

This site is a jewel

FP
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics