Case Foam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 11th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Trustee

Case Foam

I know this is a stretch, but I'm trying to "support" a dsr-500 in a hard shell case on a long flight. We have an old case with foam cutout for a single camera, but were wanting to customize it to hold our dsr-500 and dsr-300 to save space. Where can I find some large (2' x 4') pieces of pluck foam? I seem to be having difficulty finding anything online that fits what I need. I figure I'm just not looking in the right places.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

We have a company in Burbank, CA called "Foam Mart," which carries darn near every form of foam known to man...if you contact them with what you need, I expect they could ship to you...

They list pluck-out foam on their website, here:

http://www.foammart.com/foammarthome.html
Karl J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I went to a local bed/furniture factory who advertised foam cut to size. They would have charged a fortune to cut it for me, but gave me a piece of foam (about 8'x6' and 1" thick). I then cut it to size using a sharp knife. You need to do it in layers, but with a bit of patience, I managed to get a reasonable result for my DSR-V10/minicam kit. Don't know how it would work on a camera case though...
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you can't find pluck-foam for it, and have to resort to stock foam. Don't cut it with a matte knife. Cut it with an electric carving knife. Much easier and cleaner.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Wrangler

Any place that sells Pelicans and Storm Cases also sell pick and pluck foam sets for those cases--perhaps one of their sizes will match your case also.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM   #6
New Boot

Like was mentioned before, I find foam at a fabric / upholstery type store. My favorite way to cut it is with my bandsaw. It makes for very clean, straight cuts.
Milo Skinner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics