Vista or XP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 5th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Vista or XP?

I've got the Adobe master suite, now I just want to get opinions on whether I should put this motherload on XP or Vista.

I've been using CS2 design on XP for a little while now, and I'll be doing a whole lot more with the master suite, which will put some serious demands on my PC, and I don't know if Vista is stable enough, comparably speaking to XP to ensure my editing, effects, design, etc. will run smoothly.

It's been suggested to me on more than one occassion to just stick with XP for now, but I wanted to get some people's opinions here of their experiences or what they have heard from others.

Thanks.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Definitely XP
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks John for the quick and direct response.
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Most are going to say XP. I use Vista and havent had any problems my self with CS3, Granted I work on Computers every day so I can deal with most issues that come up but I havent had any my self. The one difference might be that I did a clean install of Vista instead of an upgrade and built the computer my self but eh, who knows. XP is probably the "safe" choice for support for now but after a service pack or so Vista will be where the main focus is at.
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
...The one difference might be that I did a clean install of Vista instead of an upgrade and built the computer my self but eh, who knows. XP is probably the "safe" choice for support for now but after a service pack or so Vista will be where the main focus is at.
I'm doing a clean install on a custom built PC as well.
How long before MS provides an SP1/SP2 for Vista...?
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mason View Post
How long before MS provides an SP1/SP2 for Vista...?
First quarter of 2008
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I consider myself very knowledgable in computers and I have to say that Vista is just not ready for primetime. SP1 in January it may be worth another look but I can tell you from first hand experience that even a clean install with not much else on it and XP and Vista behave very differently where CS3 is concerned. Audio sync issues with .mpa for a start and many others as well.

SP1 is going to have a lot more of the code based on Windows Server 2008 which will add a lot of stability but I am betting it will create some headaches as well.

I have no choice but to run Vista on this quadcore as I cannot get an XP slipstream boot disc to work with my SATA drivers for love nor money. Otherwise, I would be using CS3 in XP right now.

Julian
Julian Maytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The best is XP Pro SP2 will do. Vista still new in market. I used CS3 on Dell 520
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Major Player

I use the CS3 suite on my laptop running Vista and it is toooo sloooowwwww, compared to XP. Seems Vista takes too much ram, My impression is that 2GB ram on Vista is similar to 512 mb to 1GB ram on XP Pro.
When copying dvd 's that I have made, the Vista powered laptop is about half as fast as my old XP setup.
Note that I bought my laptop (Fujitsu 6420) with Vist installed, and am basing comparisons against my 3 yr old Sony VAIO desktop with 2GB ram and a single core processor.
Go with XP. Vista does not seem ready for prime time in a video editing environment just yet.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #10
Major Player

I'd choose Vista....

I do really like XP - but since I changed Vista 32 to Vista 64 I do favor Vista.

I can run Premiere 3 + Photoshop + Bridge without any disk-swapping-paging.

Almost all hardware have Vista drivers now(if you keep to standard computer parts)

// Lazze
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Trustee

Personally and directly I'd go with the OS that uses the least amount of system resources -thus, giving more to your NLE. All the OS's purpose here is to get you to your NLE, why do you need all the prettiness and gadgets when all you want to do is push the Adobe icon? XP64bit perhaps if you are going beyond the 3GB memory range.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite