Premier Pro CS3 ruler snapping - driving me crazy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Premier Pro CS3 ruler snapping - driving me crazy

This I would imagine is a stupid question but it's driving me nuts. When ever I move anything in the time line or try and make a marker, it snaps to the nearest time marker (seconds). I am trying to line up an audio clip with a video (lipsync) but can't figure out how to either change the time units to a smaller measure that 1 second or turn off snapping. I know this has to be something stupid I have overlooked and I don't recall ever having this issue before, perhaps I changed a setting unawares - any help would be appreciated!
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Major Player

It's OK, just by posting this I found the answer, needed to increase the work area bar to change measures - duh :)
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Major Player

OK now I know I am going nuts, seems this doesn't really fix the snapping issue -
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Major Player

In PPro 2/CS 2...it's an option

found under the "Sequence" menu item. Click "Sequence", then make sure that "Snap" does not have a checkmark next to it. If it does, just click it to disable. In CS 2, you can then move to what I think is the frame level.

I don't know if it's changed in CS3.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Denis, I took off the snap under sequence but it still snaps to the nearest 1/10th of a second in the timeline, perhaps I can change the timeline measures. I need to move the audio by less that 1/10th of a second if possible - I recently upgraded to CS3 and never had this issue before in Pro v1 - will keep poking around -
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Actually I mean 1 second, it's snapping to 1 second intervals -
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Rich, One other thought...

try expanding the zoom slider all the way to the max.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Major Player

I tried expanding the zoom to max and also playing with the work area bar, it's funny I don't ever remember having this issue before, perhaps because the snapping function is messed up somehow, I just started a new project to see and it's still snapping to 1 sec intervals.
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Major Player

specifically the zoom slider in the the timeline panel.

That may help. I believe it may stretche the timeline to the smallest increment possible, then just drag the clip to where you want it, or highlight it and use the arrow keys to move it in single increments. (Unless Adobe's changed it from CS2).
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Major Player

Rich, sorry...we're stepping on each other as we post.

If you find a solution, please post it here.
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #11
Major Player

Will do, thanks for the help, perhaps its an issue with my setup or the work area. The fact that it keeps snapping to the nearest 1 sec makes me think something else is going on.
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #12
Major Player

According to CS2 "help"

you should also be able to snap to a marker. Can you place a marker where you need it and snap to that?

Snapping to 1 sec seems odd; I'd fully expect to be able to snap to the frame level.

Check "Help snap"; maybe CS3 Has changed.
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #13
Major Player

For some reason I can only place a marker at 1 second intervals, not anywhere in between. The odd thing is the actual "current time indicator" has a small blue bar underneath it that protrudes to the right and takes up second in lengh. I looked at images of the timeline in adobe help and it's not there, I am sure it's related to this and am trying to figure out how to disable it. -
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #14
Major Player

OK I am giving up on this for tonight, if anyone has any ideas on how to disable the playback head snapping to the time increments on the ruler would be appreciated :)
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Perry View Post
For some reason I can only place a marker at 1 second intervals, not anywhere in between. The odd thing is the actual "current time indicator" has a small blue bar underneath it that protrudes to the right and takes up second in lengh. I looked at images of the timeline in adobe help and it's not there, I am sure it's related to this and am trying to figure out how to disable it. -
Sounds like you are zoomed all the way in to your sequence. That blue bar on the CTI covers one frame of video, not one second. Also, when you are zoomed in that close, the CTI and any video clips will snap to those frame markers on the "ruler" - you can't place a clip on a half a frame.
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite