Error: Adobe premiere pro is running low on system memory - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:08 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
After moving my Pagefile to the System drive "160g Backup" i am still getting the same error from Premiere.
Did you read my first reply in this thread?
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM   #17
Major Player

I am using Premiere CS2. Not CS3. So i cant do that. But thanks.

So you say I need a Hardware Raid instead of Software RAID. OK. But what if the Raid card is not going to be really "RAIDing" anything. Its just for attaching extra disks. Will a "HighPoint RocketRAID 1740 PCI SATA II Controller Card" really put a burdon on my system if It is used just for single disk storage?
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM   #18
Major Player

Some good news.

The problem seems to have gone away. After editing all day, I have not had any of the memory problems, or the other problems i was having.

This is what i did. I tried to simplify everything as much as possible to find the problem. At least one of these must have helped fix it - if not a number of these.
--------------

1) On the RAID array I turned off PAGEFILE OFF. - No paging file.

2) I turned ON System managed PAGEFILE on the C;/, D:/, and E:/ System drives on all partitions.

3) I un-installed all plug ins for premiere pro CS2.

4) I created a new project and imported the old project into it. The old project was using Blackmagic INtensity hardware to preview on a external TV/Monitor. The new project I created was software DV mode so that the blackmagic hardware was not used anymore.

5) I cleaned off my RAID array, and moved old projects to a new hard drive. Giving me 250gigs more free space.

6) I tried to simplify the project as much as possible by closing all open sequences (timelines) that were not being activly used. Previously i had as many as 10 sequences open at one time. All those sequences were feeding into the Master Timeline. Now i only have two sequences on the timeline at one time. I'm not sure if this was ever effecting memory or not...?

----------------

Now Im not sure which one did it but I was able to edit all day today without any major problems.
Old November 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Great, you solved your problem. All those items had to be tracked by Premiere and as such were using resources. Too much for the configuration that you had running. The simpler you make things the faster they run and with less problems.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm a bit late to this party, but I noticed in your screen grab of the Task Manager that you had 62 processes running at the time of the error message.

Seems like you have a few to many applications running in the background. I'll bet if you killed all the uneeded things running in the background, you would see less "low on memory" messages, and you will probably notice that your system seems faster and more responsive.
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #21
Major Player

How many processes is the best number to have running? Arent some of those critical to the computer operating?
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #22
Major Player

Tyson,
I posted this last week, but I guess it didn't take. If you are using the 3rd party plug in "ToonIt", it has a memory leak that will produce the behavior you described. As far as critical processes, if you can pare it down to 30-35 you will be close to the minimum necessary.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
How many processes is the best number to have running? Arent some of those critical to the computer operating?
My system boots up with around 30 processes running.

Start with removing all unneeded programs from the Startup folder, then use MSCONFIG to disable the rest of the things you don't need.

See here for more info -

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #24
Inner Circle

my system is running at light speed with 16 processes at startup.
most of processes in XP are useless. you can disable 80% of running services.
Additionaly this will increase security, since most of virus are using ressources from services you never use.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #25
Major Player

Services. MSCONFIG.

Well, the problem is still occurring, at least not as frequently. I am still seeing slow performance in premiere. THe out of memory error is not occurring as often but hasn't gone away all together. The biggest problem now is a delay in premiere after making an edit, i have to wait 5 seconds before it will respond again.

I am using Norton Internet Security 2007 which seems to need 10 or more services. I disabled all of them. Hope my internet security isn't weakened to much now. I only use the internet on this computer for downloading updates and moving files over the home network.

As far as SERVICES: I have now disabled all but 33 services at startup. Will see if this makes a differnce.

I don't have ToonIt installed...
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #26
Major Player

WOW! How to actually use Msconfig!

Wow, this is the best website EVER. I wish i knew about this about 10 years ago. I have been using MSCONFIG blindly ever since. Now i have a website that i can enter the service name and be told if its necessary or not. Thanks for the link to this page...

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.p...submit=%3E

Come to think of it, why is it that PC's have this problem? Why do so many programs run unnecessarily in the background, effectively ruining the performance of your computer? Is it that every program maker is arrogant enough to think that this will be the only and most important program that I'm going to use? I mean, even when you buy a new brand name computer (my Vaio laptop) it has like 70 services running out the box, and all this trail ware and stupid programs that no one needs installed. How is it that Macs seem to not have this problem?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite