Imported audio clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Imported audio clips

I have an audio clip I have imported, however I am still doing the sound design for that clip. (I brought it into PP2 as a place holder, so I can continue editing) When I make adustments in another program and export the edited clip from that program, (with the same file name) will PP2 pick up these changes or do I need to import the clip again?

Thank you,
Bill
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure that the resouces will be able to keep up with the changes simply because its just a file pointer, not a holder...

but I think you would need to drag the audio down to the timeline after each audio edit for your video editing....
it might be better for you to change the name slightly after each edit of the audio and bring it into the resources folder...
that way you can play around with each audio edit....

Another approach that I use is Sonic Fire Pro... I edit the video and then bring the video into Sonic Fire, then work the audio into the footage...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ray, I did lengthen it a bit and was able to stretch the clip on the time line without re-importing.

Whilst I use the same file name, I do keep backups of the old compositions.
Therefore, I can always go back to an old version if needed.

Thank you for the advice,
Bill
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Major Player

It is probably best to increment the name, that way the backups are automatic. Sometimes PPro will lock a file that is currently in use, and you won't be able to save over it anyway. Incrementing the name takes care ofthe backing up automatically, and allowsyou to easily compare revisions in Premiere. Not required but will probably save you time and hassle in the long run.
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Point taken. :-)

Thank you,
Bill
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamell View Post
Thanks Ray, I did lengthen it a bit and was able to stretch the clip on the time line without re-importing.

Bill

Ha ha, been there and done the ole stretch many a time.... you might decide to download and play with Sonic Pro. I think sometimes folks determine that the program is for purchasing roalty free music and that can become expensive for some of us... and they do have some very nice sounds to purchase...

but another reason to like Sonic Pro is that you can also rip from a CD and import a song and you still get great control for your footage length without having to go to the stretch methods... :-)

not sure about today, but they were giving the Premiere Plugin for free awhile back.... you might check that out too

watch the tutorial they have to see if you'd like it.... you can't add and subtract rips from CD's but the rest of the program works fine...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite