Adobe Updates for CS3 Editing System without internet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe Updates for CS3 Editing System without internet

I saw a thread previously which suggested that for top performance when using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, you should not have internet access on your editing pc.

I access the internet via my laptop. My question is:

If I have no internet access on my desktop editing pc, how will I be able to get updates for Adobe CS3 and other programmes? Is it possible to download these updates as standalone files and then transfer them to the editing pc?

I am no IT expert and any help will be great.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Well in todays age, its not really practical to Not hook your editing computer up to the internet in order to save resources. Your computer should be fast enough to edit and not be slowed down that much by networking goings on with a firewall and anti virus also running. In other words, if you need to actually shut off your internet to edit, then you probably need to upgrade to a faster computer.

I used to actually do this for all my editing machines prior to 03; go into the regedit and turn off all the settings for networking. Its just not practical anymore nor necessary - but i don't know what your editing on. Is your computer really old?
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Tyson.

I should have been more clear on what I meant. Some users have experienced a drop in performance when anti-virus software is running in the background all the time. The antivirus is usually needed if the pc is hooked up to the net, but my editing system will not be used for anything accept its intended purpose (editing).

I am looking at purchasing a Quadcore system with at least 4gigs of ram. I guess my real question is, with antivirus software on a pc system like this, am i likely to notice a drop in performance compared to when there is no antivirus software installed? Probably not?
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonie Koen View Post
Thanks for your reply Tyson.

I am looking at purchasing a Quadcore system with at least 4gigs of ram.
Hi Antonie,
Are you aware that 32-bit Windows can only use up to 3gigs of ram? You can install 4, but it will only use 3 with proper settings. Just my 2 cents.
Paul Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Tyson.

I will be getting Windows Vista for the new system so that shouldn't cause any issues as far as the RAM limit goes.

Just out of interest, are there any other issues with Vista as far as video editing is concern?
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

A 32-bit OS can access up to 4GB memory at one time. That includes your BIOS, hardware IO address, RAM on video card etc etc. I have 4GB ram and 512MB on video card. Under XP My Computer, it shows I have 3.25 GB ram. There will be more if your video card has 128MB ram or 256MB ram.

There are different flavor of vista. If you happen to pick a 32-bit vista, you will still run into the same memory limitation. Only 64-bit vista can make use of all your 4GB ram.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you don't bother to install antivirus program and you want your system off-line. You can still hook up the LAN cable to the computer but disable the LAN card from the device manager.

I also tried AVG antivirus. It's a free program and doesn't hog the CPU like Norton antivirus do.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #8
Major Player

So many issues, where to begin...

Most dedicated editing workstations in professional environments are NOT on the internet, regardless of how 'modern' they are, since these are usually dual Opterons or Xeons. Most average prosumer editors can not afford a dedicated edit system, and use their edit system for many other things, requiring the internet. If you can afford to, keep your edit station off the internet. If need to do internet related work on it as well, use an Antivirus, and live with the slight resource loss, performance drop, possible incompatibilities, etc.

Specifically, yes, you can download the updates for most programs, including Adobe, on a separate system and copy them to the edit system manually. Most but not all software also includes the option of activating without using the internet directly. Regardless, usually dedicated systems are connected to the net temporarily during initial setup. Windows Updates are difficult to do without direct net access, but aren't really needed without it.

32bit Windows can not address an entire 4GB bank, and usually 2GB is every available to apps, but getting 4GB is highly recommended, since capacity gains can still be made past 2GB, and ideally you should be using even numbers of identical DIMM sticks. This leaves 4GB as the ideal amount for most systems, and the fact that Windows is not using the ENTIRE amount is irrelevent.

Vista only makes the RAM situation, and usually the performance, worse on a given system. 64bit on the other hand, (Vista OR XP) improves the RAM situation immensely. It increases the max to 4GB PER 32bit app, and all other maximums are made irrelevant, in the many-Terabytes range.

I highly recommend XP over Vista, especially for a dedicated edit system. Why? Why not. Can anyone name one advantage Vista offers for a dedicated edit system?
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks for all the great advice guys. Much appreciated.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite