When moving a project... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1
New Boot

When moving a project...

I was wondering if there is a way to package a project together so when it's moved on the hard drive, either as a temp backup or to another drive to work on another PC, WHY does Premiere spend forever asking where files are? They haven't moved in the individual project folder that I put them in. When I have a huge project it can take half an hour to find everything. Also, I edit HDV. Is there a way to prevent Premiere (I use CS3 btw) to have to re index and re conform everything? It can take forever when I just want to start working. I mean, they've already been rendered once, the render files are somewhere.

If people have had this same experience as me, or have any ideas or settings to go to, I would very much appreciate it. If this has already been dealt with before, please direct me to the post.

Thanks very much! Have a great Christmas!

Jim
Jim Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #2
New Boot

Anyone? Someones got to have experienced this!

Merry Christmas!
Jim Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Have you used the Project Manager to create a trimmed project prior to "offlining" it? I think this procedure will make it easier to pull back in at a later time. On complex projects that have been moved, I find it easier to just edit the *.prproj file (it's just a text file) and alter the drive letters and directories with a global find and replace. Make a backup first, if you try to do this.

Yes, PPro is pretty brain dead when it comes to finding its own assets. After Effects just needs me to tell it where one file has been moved and it'll find the rest of them. Not so with PPro!

Good luck,
Brian Brown
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Major Player

I have had that same situation happen to me too. Premiere Pro, be it CS3 or 1.5, both are very frustrating to me too. Sorry but I have not found a cure, beyond exporting to tape and re-loading when transferring projects between say, my desktop and laptop. I know of no other reliable way, although would sure like to find one, too.

Last edited by Steve Wolla; December 26th, 2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling error
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If the drive letter and folder paths are the same on the old hard drive and new one, I think it will automatically find everything.
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi Margolin View Post
If the drive letter and folder paths are the same on the old hard drive and new one, I think it will automatically find everything.
Unfortunately that's not true, at least in PPRO 1.5 and 2.0 - they both loose files when a project is moved. Sometimes the re-linking is successful on subsequent startups (after specifying the path at the first startup), sometimes it's not. It's a bug I learned to live with.
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Unfortunately that's not true, at least in PPRO 1.5 and 2.0 - they both loose files when a project is moved. Sometimes the re-linking is successful on subsequent startups (after specifying the path at the first startup), sometimes it's not. It's a bug I learned to live with.
Hmmm

I've moved projects from one system to another without Premiere loosing the files (PPro 1.5 and CS3).

After relinking lost files and saving the project, I've never had them get lost on subsequent startups.
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Correct, PPRO won't always loose links, it's a hit and miss issue.
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #9
New Boot

Well, thanks for all your responses (I'll give editing the text file a go, thanks Brian)...but for the most part, like everyone else, it seems like I'll have to just deal with it...

Thanks again
Jim Leonard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite