Premiere Pro 2.0 OUTPUT to DV Cam tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro 2.0 OUTPUT to DV Cam tape?

Hello. As far as my experiences with Premiere Pro 2.0, I've come to learn that I CANNOT output 16x9 footage back to MiniDV, though I can capture it (correct me if I'm wrong?)

I have footage shot in a Canon XL-2, 24pA (24p Advanced), 16x9.
55 minutes or so.

I would like to output my footage to a DV Cam tape. Can anyone tell me if Premiere Pro 2.0 CAN output to DV Cam and if it can do so in 16x9 while preserving everything quality-wise?

Also, the audio was captures in the highest quality option on-camera in the XL-2 (I'm thinking that setting was 16 bit @ 48 kHz & 2 channels??)... I'm not sure what format the audio was. It was shot audio/video right on the same MiniDV. tape How will my audio convert to DV Cam and what format will it be on the DV Cam tape?

I'm supposed to rent a deck (the Sony DSR-20 or DSR-30), so I hope that helps.

Any help and advice would be appreciated as I've never done this before.

Thanks in advance!
Joe Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Major Player

What are your project settings?
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
What are your project settings?
MY PROJECT SETTINGS:
Editing mode: DV 24p
Timebase: 23.976
720x480 16x9
D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)
Fields: No fields (Progressive Scan)
24fps Timecode
Audio Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

PLAYBACK SETTINGS:
Desktop video (checked)
External Device DV 23.976p (720x480)
Aspect Ratio Conversion: hardware (if supported)
Desktop audio (checked)

Export:
External Device DV 23.976p (720x480)

24p CONVERSION METHOD:
Interlaced Frame 2:3:3:2

Desktop Display Mode: Standard

VIDEO RENDERING:
Maximum bit depth (not checked; SHOULD IT BE??)
Previews: DV 24p
Compressor: DV (24p Advanced)
Color depth: Millions of colors
Optimize Stills (checked; SHOULD IT BE??)
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Please?

I would like to output my footage to a DV Cam tape.

Can anyone tell me if Premiere Pro 2.0 CAN output to DV Cam in 16x9 (since it cannot do that for MiniDV?)

I mean I've googled and I've read the PDF manuals for some of the Sony DVCAM decks and I can't find anything. I've also found people with this same exact question but no answers.

Anyone?? Please?
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Desmond View Post
VIDEO RENDERING:
Maximum bit depth (not checked; SHOULD IT BE??)
Previews: DV 24p
Compressor: DV (24p Advanced)
Color depth: Millions of colors
Optimize Stills (checked; SHOULD IT BE??)
Somewhere in these settings you need to find a widescreen option. What gets sent to a DV or DVCAM recorder (there will be no difference) will be the same image-wise irrespective of the widescreen setting for the project. The only difference will be a flag within the data stream that can tell displays to use widescreen or not.

Our software (see profile for link) can change the flag without affecting the video. You can use this to make the video display as widescreen on a widescreen TV if the flag is missing after rendering in Premiere.

If you are looking to create letterboxed widescreen to view on a 4:3 display, our software can do that, too - i.e., convert proper widescreen DV to letterboxed very quickly. You can do that within Premiere, too.

Note, most DV/DVCAM camcoders/decks will NOT letterbox the analog outputs of widescreen DV for display on a 4:3 TV.
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
Somewhere in these settings you need to find a widescreen option. What gets sent to a DV or DVCAM recorder (there will be no difference) will be the same image-wise irrespective of the widescreen setting for the project. The only difference will be a flag within the data stream that can tell displays to use widescreen or not.
I'm not understanding what you mean here. IS there a specific setting that enables this to be done or not?

Basically I'm asking, SINCE Premiere Pro 2.0 CAN NOT output 16x9 to MiniDV, is it the same case with DVCAM? Or can Premiere Pro 2.0 output to DVCAM in 16x9?

Anyone know the answer?
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #7
Major Player

It will make no difference whether it is DV or DVCAM. DVCAM is just a more robust version of DV (faster tape speed mainly).

I don't understand what you mean by "output 16x9 to miniDV". What is your end objective?

Are you trying to view widescreen on a normal 4:3 TV - in which case are you looking for a miniDV camcorder that will automatically letterbox 16:9 material? Or...

Are you looking to send the DV video from the camcorder to a widescreen TV - in which case you are looking for a DV signal that has the correct 16:9 flag to tell the TV to use the full display?

Please be as detailed as possible so I can fully understand what you are trying to do.
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm simply saying my film was shot in 16x9.
I want to output in 16x9.

No 4x3 at all. It needs to be projected 16x9.

Premiere Pro 2 doesn't output (record to) 16x9 on MiniDV, only 4x3.
Can Premiere Pro 2 output (record to) 16x9 on DVCAM..?
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Major Player

So at the moment it is projected 4:3 and looks squished?

If so, can you force the projector to project 16:9? Most can since not all input signals have the 16:9 flag.

If not, as I suggested before, you can run the AVI files that PPro produces through our software and add the 16:9 flag to the signal. No re-rendering is needed to achieve this.

If a widescreen option for 24p DV isn't listed in Premiere's project settings options, I don't see any alternative other than one of the above options. The ideal one is simply to tell the projector to do 16:9.
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite