DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   From Premiere to Tape or DVD!? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/11329-premiere-tape-dvd.html)

John Garcia June 26th, 2003 04:59 PM

From Premiere to Tape or DVD!?

Alright, i did a slide show for my gf's graduation last month, and now, her parents want me to make VHS tapes or DVDs to send to her relatives in the mainland.

I did the project on my laptop. It only has 13 gigs of free space. Somehow I have to transfer the file onto my PC, then compress it in MPEG-2 format small enough to fit on a blank dvd, but retain good quality. If i were to export the file in DV format, it would probably be way too big for me to save onto the hard drive. Even if it wasnt, how the hell am i going to fit 13 gigs onto a 4.7 gb blank DVD?

Are there any free compressors out there that I could export the video with? Does anyone have any other ideas of how I could get the file off my laptop, onto my PC and burnt to a dvd? HELP!!! thanks...:)

K. Forman June 26th, 2003 05:06 PM

How big is this slide show?!? Anyways, you might try assembling it in Premiere and export to vhs. Either that, or try resizing the images so that they aren't so large file wise.

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 26th, 2003 05:19 PM

You say your laptop has 13 GB of free space, but then imply that your slide show is 13 GB. Is this coincidence, or confusion?

Is your laptop equipped with a DVD burner?

DVD video is stored in MPEG-2 format, yes, but I'm not aware of any MPEG-2 software video compressors available for free. (You might find something useful here.) If you have a DVD burner, didn't any MPEG-2 compressor software come with it?

Jed Williamson June 26th, 2003 05:47 PM

Hope this helps.

13 gig file -> hard drive.

If you have an external cdrw this would be easy, time consuming but easy. find a file split program on zdnet or other shareware site. break the file into 650 MB chunks & use that to transfer. I know this is going to be 20 discs or so but unless you have a external dvdr drive this would be the easiest.

Other than that you'd need to somehow connect the laptop to the pc and transfer via usb or firewire. Not sure how to do this but I'm sure google can help you find a forum with loads of answers.

David Hurdon June 26th, 2003 09:02 PM

TMPGEnc has 30 day MPEG-2 compression before you have to pay for it or lose that option. But, you can't export from the timeline without fiddling around with frame serving. I'm curious about how long this slide show is? 13 GB will handle 45 minutes or so of full res AVI - about 2 GB per 9 minutes. If your show runs 15 minutes or less you should have room for render files and an AVi export. Then you can delete your source material and make room for the MPEG-2 compression.

David Hurdon

John Garcia June 26th, 2003 09:14 PM

Alright. Sorry guys, I dont think I was clear enough in my initial post.

The slide show when exported from premiere using the Microsoft DV compressor runs at about 1 gig per minute. The slide show is 13 minutes in length. If I were to export the file, I wouldnt have enough space on my HD, being that I only have about 12 gigs free space left.

Even if I did export successfully, how am I going to get it to my PC's DVD burner?

Sorry for all the confusion. Thanks again...

John

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 26th, 2003 09:25 PM

Once you manage to export it, if both your laptop and your PC have ethernet cards, you can transfer the file, large as it may be, via an easily-bought or easily-made crossover ethernet cable. Just map one of the hard drives as a network drive on the other computer.

David Hurdon June 26th, 2003 10:12 PM

John, your arithmetic has to be wrong. Just to check myself I got properties for two projects on one of my drives-both Microsoft AVIs. One at a few seconds under 14 minutes is 2.95 GB. One at 12:10 is 2.45 GB. I can't see how your project could possibly be a gig per minute. You should have lots of room to export and convert to MPEG-2 at a file size around 650 MB, encoding at around 5-6000 kbps.

David Hurdon

Adrian Douglas June 26th, 2003 10:55 PM

I guess your Laptop and Desktop are not networked? Two inexpensive network cards and a Cat5B Crossover cable will enable file transfer between the two. Either that or try connecting the two via a firewire cable if they both have IEEE1394 connections.

John Garcia June 27th, 2003 01:54 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Hurdon : John, your arithmetic has to be wrong. Just to check myself I got properties for two projects on one of my drives-both Microsoft AVIs. One at a few seconds under 14 minutes is 2.95 GB. One at 12:10 is 2.45 GB. I can't see how your project could possibly be a gig per minute. You should have lots of room to export and convert to MPEG-2 at a file size around 650 MB, encoding at around 5-6000 kbps.

David Hurdon -->>>

Im serious Dave. When exporting using the Microsoft DV AVI compressor, each minute burns up 1 gig. I could export with the AVI compressor, which would bring the file down to about 3 gigs, but the quality is pretty bad. This project contains about 400 300dpi TIFF images, each with a motion setting applied, and each with a transition between them. Just to preview the damn thing it takes like 4 hours. At the end of the show, I have about 2 minutes of video. Maybe file size has to do with the fact that I am using pictures and have alot of motion to render?

I will network the computers and transfer the video to my pc, where I will then convert to MPEG-2 then burn to DVD.

Ill let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for all the input. I appreciate it.

John

David Hurdon June 27th, 2003 05:45 AM

John, I've wracked my tiny brain and I can't think of an explanation for a DV AVI being twice or more the size of an AVI of the identical content. Nor can I imagine the nature of the content making any difference. Naturally the preview files generated in rendering multi-effects work will add up to more than from undoctored source clips, but not the final export. I hope someone can step up and clarify this because what you've observed seems to suggest that DV isn't always approx 3.6 MB/sec and that to me is like discovering that gravity is different in the southern hemisphere.

K. Forman June 27th, 2003 06:15 AM

"400 300dpi TIFF images"
That right there is the problem! Take them puppies into photoshop and reduce them!

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 27th, 2003 11:06 AM

"Maybe file size has to do with the fact that I am using pictures and have alot of motion to render?"

It shouldn't.

"That right there is the problem! Take them puppies into photoshop and reduce them!"

Why would source have any effect on rendered DV AVI output, the frames of which are of constant width and height?

Michael Chen June 27th, 2003 06:44 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Garcia : Alright. Sorry guys, I dont think I was clear enough in my initial post.

The slide show when exported from premiere using the Microsoft DV compressor runs at about 1 gig per minute. The slide show is 13 minutes in length. If I were to export the file, I wouldnt have enough space on my HD, being that I only have about 12 gigs free space left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did encounter the 1 gig per minute problem b4 as well.

You must have set the options to the ratio of 1:1, which is in uncompressed form.

Try setting it into different ratios , you may notice the drop in quality, but its not noticeable on a tv screen.
And I do think that it'll still look better than mpeg2.

John Garcia June 27th, 2003 06:56 PM

Right Michael! It does look good on the screen. But in any case, im probably doing something wrong. After all, this is my first project done in premiere, let alone my first time attempting to do something creative with video. Sorry for all the missjudgments...

Thanks for all the answers!

John