Exporting QuickTime H.264 Files from Premiere Pro 2 ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting QuickTime H.264 Files from Premiere Pro 2 ...

I am close to completing a project and the customer has requested that I send the final project on DVD (which is no problem) and as a QuickTime using H.264 compression. He also has requested the original video files in QuickTime using H.264 as well.

Currently I am using Premiere Pro 2 and I have never had much luck with exporting a quality video file using QuickTime. (Usually I am just working with .avi or MPEG2 HDV files.) I see all these beautiful movie trailers in HD online using H.264 and they look great! But I have never been able to replicate these pristine settings.

Thus far when I try to export via the Export function or the Adobe Media Encoder, I either end up with a really crappy video file, Premiere crashes or once compressed QuickTime player crashes. Ultimately after trying to play the video file several times ... I get a blue screen and windows crashes.

Now, understand that it's HIGHLY unusual for me to see a blue screen (I know this is contrary to what some may say) as Windows Vista and XP have been VERY stable for me.

Also, I have not been able to find much info online regarding how to adjust the settings or how to trouble shoot problems using H.264.

I have also tried exporting sequential image files and .avi files into QuickTime Pro and re-compressing that way ... but it just has the same result.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm having so many problems with exporting QuickTime H.264?

Is there a little stand alone utiltiy that i can use to export H.264 files reliably and with a high quality?

I can't really tell you what settings I’m using because NOTHING works and has crashed every time I have ever tried to do anything with the codec.

Thanks,

George
George Tasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Trustee

AME may not be your best choice

George,

I'm not an H.264 expert by any stretch, but I have done some research on a variety of output codecs. Several sources, but not all, stay away from AME because it does not do as good a job as a dedicated codec tool like Sorenson.

For me, I've never had good luck using QT on a PC with anything other than the Animation codec, but I haven't spent much time on it.

Hope that helps.

Tripp
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

x264

You can export an .avi from export movie and use this Video for windows h264 codec:

http://deaththesheep.uni.cc/

rename the .avi to .mp4 and quicktime will claim it. (free too!)

Or use MPEG Streamclip http://www.squared5.com and export to quicktime with h.264 compression.

You could also get quicktime pro for $30, but I am not sure if that codec will show up in premiere.
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use DebugmodeFrameserving to MeGUI - a free solution that produces great results. Video in fed frame by frame from your timeline to the encoder - no need to render HQ temp files.

http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui

There's a tutorial over at DVXuser that will get you started with MeGUI:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=90118
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Also, to back what Tripp said, I have rendered out of Premiere using the Media Encoder set to the exact same settings as Sony Vegas with wmv and some other codecs and typically, Sony Vegas did a better job. The picture wasn't all blocky and nasty looking. It was also sharper.

Not dissing Adobe's products or anything, but you're better off with a dedicated media encoder like Sorenson or Cleaner - REGARDLESS of what video editing software you're using.

With that said, when I use the Animation codec in Premiere and AE all the time and that works perfectly fine.

It's not all of the formats, just certain ones.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite