CS3 - Moving Sequences to another Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #1
New Boot

CS3 - Moving Sequences to another Project

Greetings.

We have 7 Premiere CS3 projects that we need to combine into a single project. What is the best way to bring the sequences from one project into another?

Thanks.

Edgar
Edgar Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Cmd-I (Import) and import the seven projects inside your main project. Each project will be imported in its own bin where you'll be able to select the sequences
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Paolo. I have another question.

Once we bring the project in to a bin, does it bring all of the files associated with the project. We have duplicate files in each project and this would use lots of resources.

Also, can we copy a sequence to the current project and then delete the bin that it came from?
Edgar Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Pitts View Post
Once we bring the project in to a bin, does it bring all of the files associated with the project. We have duplicate files in each project and this would use lots of resources.
Files are referred from the original project, there is no merging of common files, AFAIK. Each clip is identified by its own entity in the project file and you can refer to the same clip any number of times. Regarding resources actually I don't think that you end up using that much. The files would be referenced anyway, the difference in your case is that you get some memory overhead to keep a rather simple data structure in memory. I wouldn't worry but you can re-arrange the clips and replace the footage by hand if you feel the need to.

Quote:
Also, can we copy a sequence to the current project and then delete the bin that it came from?
No, that would get rid of the clips as well, you can rearrange the imported project as much as you want but the media files and sequences are dependent to each other.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Pitts View Post
Thanks Paolo. I have another question.

Once you have a new project with the 7 sequences merged together you can use the project manager to consolidate the new project and clips to a new folder

Go to PROJECT/Project Manager

check the box collect files and copy to new file location

Set project destination

It should copy every clip you're using to the new location if you leave the exclude unused it will remove all the unused clips and won't copy them. And then you should be able to delete the old directories, but make absolutely sure the new consolidated project loads and contains all the clips before doing anything destructive.

Hope that helps.
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

If you're just looking to import one or two sequences, I've found it useful to just open the project that contains the sequence(s) that I want to take,

open the sequence in its own timeline (double clicking will do this) and

Select All (Ctrl+A)

Copy (Ctrl+C),

open the project into which I want to place the sequence

Create a new (blank) sequence)

Open the timeline for the new, blank sequence

Paste the clips that I just copied from the previous project (Ctrl+V)

This doesn't do you the favor of organizing the newly-added material into its own bin, but it's generally not too hard to just make a bin and throw in all the stuff from the bottom of your assets window. The advantage is that you only add assets to your project that are used in the timeline you just pasted in. Anyway, just one more way to skin that cat. Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite