DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Great news from Adobe!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/11702-great-news-adobe.html)

Jeff Natalie July 7th, 2003 04:37 AM

Great news from Adobe!!

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/main.html

K. Forman July 7th, 2003 05:03 AM

But will it work with Win2K? All it mentions is XP.

Jeff Natalie July 7th, 2003 06:05 AM

Keith,
I've read on the canopus forums that it is not "supporting" Win2K.

K. Forman July 7th, 2003 06:29 AM

I guess I won't be getting it yet :( I won't move on to XP.

Dave Valencic July 7th, 2003 10:13 AM

I'm in the process of building a new XP Pro box strictly for Adobe Encore DVD, and now for Premiere Pro, but I will refuse to let this box be connected to the internet...The only connection to other computers that it will have will be firewire drives.

I absolutely won't upgrade my internet/business PC to XP at all...Win2k Pro SP2 is the only OS that'll ever be installed.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 10:28 AM

Why so many against XP. XP was a godsend for me moving from 98SE. Besides it's running on the same NT kernel.

PS Dave- what if you end up hating Encore and Premiere pro?! Awefull lot of faith to build a dedicated machine for two peices of software that haven't been released. Though I have to share your excitement for Encore- there realy hasn't been a DVD authoring program that has really impressed me as of yet.

Dave Valencic July 7th, 2003 12:07 PM

Well by the time the system is done, I will only have spent in the neighborhood of $300 for a P4 2.66Ghz with 2Gb of ram, as most of the components are being aquired from people who are upgrading to new systems.

If I end up not liking either package, I'll retire my newly built computer to an After Effects rendering node and switch over to a G5 dual 2Ghz machine running FCP4 and DVD Studio Pro 2.0. I already use FCP4 for most of my work, but i've gotten so many requests from clients specifically asking for Avid or Premiere that it merited building a PC editing box too.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 12:16 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Valencic : but i've gotten so many requests from clients specifically asking for Avid or Premiere that it merited building a PC editing box too. -->>>

What sort of work do you do in which your clients would ask for Avid or Premiere? Do you mean they are asking for you to edit their project on those particular NLEs?! Or do you sell systems?

Dave Valencic July 7th, 2003 12:28 PM

I had three different corperate clients that I was editing training videos for specifically ask for their programs to be edited on Premiere for whatever reason...none of them gave specific reasons....but since I was getting paid enough for it to be worth-while for me to purchase it, I decided to go all out.

The Avid Xpress DV purchase came along because a client had an unfinished project that was supposed to be done in-house, but their editor quit (?...no one told me the whole story) and left a half-done video, so I was handed two firewire hard drives that had all Avid files on them, and an outline of what the video was supposed to be...and what they paid me made it DEFINATELY worth getting my own copy of Avid (I actually did the project on friend's Titanium Powerbook then bought my own copy the next week)

K. Forman July 7th, 2003 02:20 PM

I don't like invasive programs, and XP seems to be at the top of that list. If I don't want to register, who's business is it but mine? If I feel like swapping my system componants, I will not have the OS tell me I need to re-register. I like to plug and play, not plug, register, then play- if the OS will let me.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 02:37 PM

Keith, yeah that aspect does suck. Oddly enough it doesn't always ask you to re-register when you swap components. Well it all depends on the component- I was able to upgrade my Graphics card without a hitch. A friend of mine, however, added a secondary hd and it asked him to re-register.
I'll be re-doing my system (full reformat, etc) sometime this summer- I like doing that roughly once every year to 1 1/2 years to keep things running smoothly. Hopefully I won't have that many problems if/when I decide to re-install XP.
Other than that it's been the best OS I've ever worked on!

Nick Glenister July 8th, 2003 01:48 AM

"Registering" XP took all of 30 seconds using the modem option and I didn't need to give any personal details. Its not the same as registering any other piece of software where they want as much info as possible for their marketing department. If thats all i have to do each time i reinstall windows then so be it.

XP is far superior to win2K, I'm a programmer and have XP Pro at home and Win2K at work so I know both very well.

XP is not at all invasive you just need to disable the services you don't need and you don't get bothered by Microsoft ever again.

And at £107 at www.scan.co.uk for WinXP Pro OEM its well worth upgrading

Regards

Nick

Nigel Moore July 8th, 2003 02:12 AM

For me it's not the practicalities of registration/activation that are the issue, but the concept. If I want to replace all my hard drives, because I bought crappy IBM GXP75s, with Western Digital I should be allowed to without the OS deciding that it's not going to play with me. As it is, I haven't yet installed XP...it will go on a dedicated edit box that will not have Internet access (that way I don't have to have AV installed mucking up my captures), so each time the OS wants to phone home, I'm gonna have to hitch the damned thing up.

Hans Henrik Bang July 8th, 2003 04:44 AM

I can certainly follow you in the sense that the XP license policy feels rather invasive. I had quite a bit of trouble with my new XP based PC (defective motherboard) and thus installed XP several time. At the end of it, I have run out of install attempts.

Having to phone a Microsoft representative and beg for 3 more trys or whatever is frankly not my idea of "fair use" of legally purchased software. I reinstall my computers on a regular basis, and ill be d..... if Microsoft should have a say in that.

Hans Henrik

Jeff Natalie July 8th, 2003 07:13 AM

Agreed, but that is not the norm if your system is well researched for compatibility.