Opening avi's in PPro CS3 on mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 30th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Opening avi's in PPro CS3 on mac

I've spent all day scouring the web but haven't found any useful information.

Files I have exported as DV avi's from a PC based PPro CS3 won't import into a mac based quicktime dv project. It throws up an error about the codec. I've read all over the place that Premiere should be able to read them without any conversion.

I went ahead and bought the quicktime pro upgrade thinking that I might just have to go ahead and convert all the files (I have hundreds) to mov first. But there seems to be no way of batch converting them either.

When i try to play the files in quicktime it also tells me it needs to download additional componants and takes me to it's quicktime componants page. But I can't see anything on that page related to dv encoded files.

Anybody else had any experience with this?

Thanks
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM   #2
Major Player

The only way I found to resolve this was to convert avis to movs.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Bart. Glad I finally got a reply. So you had the same problem?
Mine play with sound only when using quicktime player, but dont import at all into PPro.

How did you convert your avi's to mov? I have quicktime pro, but a search on the net for applescripts and the like to be able to batch process files has come up with nothing.

Also, are you sure that when you converted them, only the container got changed, and the dv stream inside didn't get re-encoded? I looked at the "export" feature in quicktime pro briefly but i got lost with the audio settings. All of the audio settings looked as though they would re-encode the audio.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Major Player

I used PPro on PC to export DVs directly to movs with disabled recompress.

I also used Cineform HDLink to convert Cineform avis to movs.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, I don't suppose that cineform HDlink will rewrap dv avis to dv movs to will it?

<Edit>
Ok, I've got it. I have seamless playback of dv avis in quicktime and PPro. The problem was the xVID component that I had installed.

Go to Library>Quicktime and move the xVID component out of it, and see if your files playback properly or not now. If so toss the XVID component into the trash. If not, you didn't have the same problem as me.

Last edited by Brian Parker; April 4th, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite