Four kernels-bad performance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 31st, 2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Four kernels-bad performance

Hi

Using PP2 on an AMD Phenom, four kernel CPU, with XP Pro. During render, Performance Monitor shows all four kernels working but still only about 25% per CPU. It seems as PP2 uses all four kernels but does not use all CPU power.

When using TMPGEnc Express, all four kernels are running up to 100%.

Is Premiere Pro able to take advantage of four kernels or do I have to upgrade to PP CS3?

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Trustee

I have a Windows XPsp2 machine with a recently installed quad Q6600 processor, with both CS2 and CS3 on board. This weekend I happened to notice that CS3 was rendering at 100% on all cores on a project I was working on.

So then when I saw your question just now I thought 'Hey I'll check out CS2'. Since CS2 won't load the CS3 weekend project, I created a simple test project that involved rendering a Cineform 1080i file with 2 color correction effects added.

That rendered at 47% overall, with the 4 cores reading roughly 75%, 25%, 40% and 40%, respectively.

Then just to check I ran that same test project in CS3 and ... what the heck ... it ran at 47% there too! Went back to the weekend project in CS3 and sure enough 100%.

So ..... my conclusions are 1) your machine should be able to do better than what you've seen so far. 2) What you get depends in part on the particular effects, motion and transitions etc that you've applied to your footage.

Hope that helps.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi

and thanks for the info, I'll check my machine to see if some settings can be changed.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Trustee

I saw this same issue, it went away with CS3. From what I understand, and someone jump in if I'm wrong, CS3 is more optimized for multi-core cpus.
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
...CS3 is more optimized for multi-core cpus.
Thats correct.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite