Adobe Premire CS3 --> 64 bit? system (yes or no answer) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Adobe Premire CS3 --> 64 bit? system (yes or no answer)

Hey guy's,
I have been looking to purchase a new PC and also a new editing software.
I had been looking locally for the PC and came across one that should handle my editing (XL2 - SD) and slo my home PC needs (Web development and database system etc...)

HP has this system less than $1000
Quote:
2.4GHz Pavilion Intel Core 2 Quad DVD±RW Wireless Desktop PC - Vista Home Premium (M8430F)
2.4GHz Pavilion Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor, 4GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, DL DVD±RW w/ LightScribe, Wireless 802.11 b/g, GeForce 8500GT, PCI Express x1 TV tuner card, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack
This is a 64bit system. Now reading on BH photo about the system requirments it states that this software is 32 bit only

Quote:
System Requirements Computer: Intel Pentium 4 (1.4 GHz for DV, 3.4 GHz for HDV), Centrino, Xeon (Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz for HD), Core Duo
Operating System: Windows XP Home or Professional SP2; Vista Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate (32-bit editions only)
Memory: 1 GB for DV, 2 GB for HDV and HD
Hard Drive: 10 GB; 7200 rpm for DV and HDV, RAID 0 for HD (SCSI preferred)
Display: 1280 x 10240 display at 32-bit color; Dedicated GPU required for GPU-accelerated playback
Software: QuickTime 7.0
Hardware: FireWire for DV/HDV capture and export; DVD-ROM for installation; DVD burner for DVD burning; Blu-ray burner for Blu-ray burning; Internet or phone connection required for product activation
Does this mean I can not use it on a 64bit system?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post

Does this mean I can not use it on a 64bit system?
You can use CS3 on 64Bit but it is "unsuported" meaning if you have trouble Adobe cant relaly help you. I run CS3 on 64 Bit Vista Ultimate and have not personally had any trouble. Most of my work is done in Premiere, Encore and Photoshop. I rarely touch the other included apps but have tested Ultra. T%he other thing is that the software will still run in 32bit mode meaning the extra benifits you might have, such as more than 4GB of RAM will not do a whole lot for any ONE application.
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Josh,
thanks for the responce. Do you know of any downside to using a 64 bit system?
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Unfortunately it really isn't a yes or no question. You *can* use CS3 on a 64 bit system and many people report good results. But Adobe doesn't "certify" Premiere on 64-bit environments, so you may run into trouble, and Adobe won't help you.

Here's an earlier discussion on this topic:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=114646

In other words, use 64-bit at your own risk.

The threads over at the Adobe forums are full of people screaming about how it doesn't work, balanced by those who swear by it.

Edit: Sorry for what appears to be a redundant post; apparently Josh and I were writing at the same time.

Possible downsides include instability and system crashes, or Premiere being even more flaky than it usually is.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Josh,
thanks for the responce. Do you know of any downside to using a 64 bit system?
Make sure that every bit of hardware you own has drivers, 64 bit drivers have to be "certified" and not all companies take the time to do that. I was able to find drivers for everything in the Dell XPS 420 I bought which was nice. If the machine is comming with 64bit installed then it will be good for all of its current hardware but make sure your printer and such has the needed drivers. Short of that I have not personally had issues but others might be able to chime in on issues they might have had.
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It's not that Adobe will not help you with 64-bit systems... its just that they usually don't know the answer.

I've been running XP in 64 bit and there have been a few problems here or there and I've done some troubleshooting with Adobe. I know XP 64 is different from Vista 64 in that Microsoft is still working to improve Vista, so maybe some problems and driver issues will get ironed out eventually.

But I have gotten used to Adobe's "I don't know's."
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Major Player

I think I am better off just getting a 32 bit system. After my post, which LOL I thought would render a yes or no, I done a search on "64 bit" and found alot of stuff.

It really seems that that with NO true value in a 64bit sytem, I should just stick to a 32 WX SP2 system. At least I know everyting would run fine on it.
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
I think I am better off just getting a 32 bit system. After my post, which LOL I thought would render a yes or no, I done a search on "64 bit" and found alot of stuff.

It really seems that that with NO true value in a 64bit sytem, I should just stick to a 32 WX SP2 system. At least I know everyting would run fine on it.
I personally think 64 bit is what we are moving to so I would not cut my self off from that path. It will be a while before it becomes more common, maybe even after the life of this PC you are buying depending on how often you upgrade. The biggest benifit most people are seeing now is that you can use more than 4GB of RAM and actually use it.
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Well sure enough. Every machine that I find that looks to be "turnkey" for video editing are all 64 bit. I came across a Gateway for just $850 that looks like a nice unit that I will probably get this weekend.

This is the first PC I have bought in 8 years. My last one of well over 2K and can't find video in spell check. Much less edit..
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Regular Crew

it works on this side.

i am editing in 64bit CS3 premiere without issues.

Got a 1.8(core2duo) soon to be quad6700.
8GB ram
xp pro 64bit
xfx 7600gt.
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #11
Major Player

Vista 64 is much better in terms of compatiblity. XP64 had a lot of driver issues, Vista contains much, much more drivers on its install DVD. Microsoft managed to bring 64bit a little bit closer to the user with Vista.

Adobe really does NOT support it, but hey - you are likely to get "we don't know" on most strange issues (those you cannot resolve with help on web) on 32bit and 64bit systems anyway.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Major Player

Does anyone know how to check specs on a video card? Using vista?
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Major Player

Guy, try this little app:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

It's one of the most accurate GFX analysis tools.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite