PP CS3 and HDVSplit files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Trustee

PP CS3 and HDVSplit files

Having grown frustrated with capturing issues in CS3, I thought that I'd use HDVSplit to capture tapes and split scenes. Now that I've done that for about 7 hours of video, how do I get the m2t files into PP?

I tried importing them into a PP HDV 1080 60i project and it laughs at me. Well actually reports two errors and then brings up the importing video dialog but never makes any progress. Do I have to go through some sort of file conversion first?
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I thought PP did m2t natively. Am I wrong about that? Never used any version without Cineform so I never tried m2t import or capture...
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Trustee

Adam... You're right. PP CS3 is supposed to handle m2t files natively. It's just in my case, it's not. I'm wondering if I've done something wrong here.

Don't start me on Cineform. I'm on my second trial on a second machine and once again it's going down the gurgler.
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you're having trouble with both Premiere and Cineform, could it be a system issue? What are your system specs? Could it be a Vista problem?

Otherwise, the only times I run into trouble with Premiere are when I've got a settings mismatch somewhere...
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Tripp,

I use CS3 and HDVSplit and haven't got problems importing into CS3. The one thing I noticed in comparison to DV material, is that HDV tapes show a lot more dropped frames than DV, which was the cause for the audio-sync problems. Whether that is format specific or has to do with the tapes, I don't know.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Trustee

Adam... I'm not going there with Cineform. I'm simply finished with them.

Harm... I'm not having any dropout or a/v syncing issues. Dropouts are a bit more distressing with HDV than DV which are related to cam, tape, deck and long GOP HDV format. I just can't import the m2t files from HDVSplit which has led me back to just using PP for capturing. I'll figure out how to split the scenes later.

Sounds like I'll be making a call to Adobe support on the morrow unless someone has a bright idea about why my CS3 doesn't like m2t files...
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Well actually reports two errors and then brings up the importing video dialog but never makes any progress.
I only capture with HDVsplit. I have CS3, one copy on an XP machine and one on Vista. I have not bought any product from Cineform (as it's too expensive, imho).

I do not have any problems. The HDVsplit files seem to be every bit as good (if not better) than CS3-captured files. CS3 gives me no indication that they are any different.

It may help if you tell us what the error messages say.
Colin Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #8
Major Player

As soon as you start PPro hold down the shift key while the program loads and see if you can import the m2t files then.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I used PPCS3 edit m2t no problem so far. Capture on Vegas 7. PPCS3 capture will only be mpg2 file and can't preview on PROGRAM monitor. Vegas 7 no problem on that. Machine using DELL VOSTRO 400 Quad 3GB RAM.
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #10
Trustee

Lloyd... I'll try that and see if it works.

K. C... Clearly I'm having a problem that's somewhat unique to my system. Maybe I'll just shoot it and put it out of my misery.
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

First things first: do the m2t files play fine in other applications? If not, obviously you have issues with the files themselves and not with Premiere. You have to split your search in order to identify the offending segment.

I used HDV files captured with HDVSplit in various applications (including Premiere, Encore, Edius, Procoder, Sorenson Squeeze, MPEG Streamclip, to name a few) without any problems.
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #12
Trustee

Lloyd had the key. I held the shift key down when I started PP this morning and now everything's all good. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #13
Major Player

I don't know the whole story on that error message, but I get it too. I know that if I uninstall Quicktime I don't have the problem. It may also have something to do with the Quicktime/Cineform combination. When you start Premiere while holding down the shift key it refreshes the plug-in list and then it works o.k. - at least for a while - then you have to do it again.

For me I found that it was not only on m2t files, but HD mpeg files if they were moved. What that means is, if I captured HD in Premiere and then opened the files in the same project it was o.k., but if I then move those files to another location or tried to open files that were captured in a different project I would get the error message.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite