Does Adobe Premiere Pro work with 24P? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 15th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Does Adobe Premiere Pro work with 24P?

Well...does it? Anyone know?
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #2
Trustee

If it has any chance of competing, it'd better have 24p AND HD support. But I don't think it says on the Adobe website.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Nobody who's asked has managed to get a straight answer from Adobe.

I work under the assumption that if a feature is called for and is supported, the marketing boyz'n'gurlz will trumpet it from the rooftops. So, in this case, i take silence to be a 'no'.

I could be wrong though.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #4
Major Player

It does support HD according to the following text from their web site:

"Standard definition/high definition support
Import, edit, and deliver HD or SD productions using certified OEM hardware with Adobe Premiere Pro. Encode HD Windows Media™ 9 Series content using the built-in Adobe Media Encoder."

Still no word on 24p....that is the deciding factor for me...and please, no plug ins.
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Note "using certified OEM hardware". I think this comes in a cool $1200.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #6
Major Player

I see, damn!
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #7
Trustee

Maybe not. Footage from the JVC HD1/10 might work with Premier; you might just have to capture using JVC's proprietary software.

If it supports HD, then I would think it must support 24p, as 1080/24p and 720/24p are official HD standards so they'd be doing some really bad (if not false) advertising if they didn't include that.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Check this out.

http://www.creativecow.net/forum/rea...6156&forumid=3

Its not good news for premiere users.
Mike Morrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #9
Major Player

I read in the official Adobe forums that one of the lead designers of the software was asked whether Premiere Pro supports 24P and he basically danced around the question. He did say "Yes", but it really didn't make any sense. I'll see if I can find it...
Old July 16th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Here it is from http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2...interview3.htm

"DMN: Is there anything in Premiere Pro for a film shop that does 24p, maybe using Avid? Is there interoperability between the two?

Townhill: We have interoperability, yes, because in Premiere we now export AAF [Advanced Authoring Format] files. Our tests have been done specifically with Avid systems. So for example, you can edit a project entirely in Premiere, and you can export that as an AAF file, and that AAF file will be read by the Avid system. So, for example, you could use Premiere and you could go to a Symphony, or you could go to Xpress DV, or basically, the choice is yours. So now, Premiere forms part of the overall professional workflow, which is something that was not done before. You can put it in a professional studio knowing full well that you can interchange data between Premiere sessions and the Avid sessions. You asked about 24p. We support frame rates, which basically covers almost everything. We're basically resolution- and frame-rate independent. So by default, Premiere is a DV application, but at this show [DV Expo], you will see that we have a number of partners that are coming out with analog capture devices, HD capture devices, and a whole bunch of different resolutions and formats -- input and output into Premiere. A specific answer to your question: Yes, we support 24p."
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #11
New Boot

i think it does

i just recently edited a commercial in premiere pro that was 24 progressive. it was a pain so i havent edited any more in 24p. I recorded with 2:3:3:2 pulldown on my canon XL2 and captured/edited on a 29.97 timeline. It worked just like a regular project but then when i exported it i exported it as a 24 frames per second AVI file. I chose to have "no fields" (so it would be progressive and have no interlacing). I didnt deinterlace all the clips while i was editing the video, i just told it to export the final video without interlacing and i think that did it. Since i have only viewed it on my computer, i cant completely tell if it worked right, but the video looks good and there is no flickering or anything. Its edgy, but thats how 24p is supposed to look. The only thing im afraid of is that its 24 frames per second but its still interlaced. I just want to know if maybe i should have deinterlaced all the clips while i was still editing them in the project, maye that could have made it even better. Maybe that will help you guys, can anyone help me thought?
Derek Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite