Compression & deinterlace - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I will not argue on the cause of the faulty QT installs, you are probably right... I'll just tell you that on all of the PCs I own and/or work on, the embedded QT player is a hit and miss, works with some websites, does not work with others.

This is not the "I hate xyz operating system" argument; it's the cold math: I would like to reach as many potential viewers as possible.

It's up to you to decide what gives you a larger viewer base: 98.8% Flash player or 66.8% QT (that may or may not take into consideration how many of those installed players actually work as desired).

Statistics from Adobe:
Attached Thumbnails
Compression & deinterlace-flash-stats.gif  
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Just for clarification. I will be using an XL2 Standard Definition.
Based on what I plan to do, do you guy's recomend this path?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
I see these great clips from others that are very clear and smooth almost like an HD tv and the file size is pretty small.

I have been trying to create similar files of my own and having a terrible time. I have been using Pinnacle and Virtual Dub for all of my editing needs and quite frankly neither is working the way I would like.

I have been considering getting Adobe Premire with hopes that it can solve all of my needs from Compression, deinterlace and rendering for web applications.
I cut on Adobe Premiere. The deinterlacer is simple, low-quality, and allows no customization. The resize algorithm is suboptimal and cannot be tuned. The freely-available x264 runs circles around the Adobe Media Encoder when it comes to quality and file size. And there are no allowances made for queuing render batches. On the plus side, Adobe is very easy to use.

So while Premiere may be a nice editor, I use and recommend avisynth for the highest quality output.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #19
Inner Circle

For the highest quality video for the web I was able to produce so far (512 Kbps, 640x480 pixels):

- I edited in the NLE (it really doesn't matter which one), output same format as original
- Deinterlaced and resized (Lanczos 3 algorith) in Virtualdub
- Encoded to mp4/H264 in MPEG Streamclip, multipass
- Playback in embedded Flash player constrained to 480x360 pixels.

Second best has been encoding to WMV straight from the Edius timeline, 512 Kbps (448 video and 64 audio), 640x480 pixels, two pass. Playback in embedded WMV player constrained to 480x360 pixels.

With a little extra work the same result can be achieved with free tools for those not on Edius:

- Edit as above
- In addition to the deinterlace/resize in VDub, increase contrast and reduce brightness a little
- Encode in free WM Encoder - the additional step in VDub is mandatory as WME lifts the blacks a little and looses some contrast.

Last edited by Ervin Farkas; May 13th, 2008 at 06:47 AM.
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
For the highest quality video for the web I was able to produce so far (512 Kbps, 640x480 pixels):

- Deinterlaced and resized (Lanczos 3 algorith) in Virtualdub
Ervin,
I would like to try this step listed above. Is the Lanczos 3 algorith a filter?
or how does it work?

Can I down load and try it?

It seems that I may be able to settle some of my problems with VirtualDub. Which I have been trying to about 4 weeks now and not really gaining any ground. Everything I try gives me errors or something?
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Virtualdub is a free download from virtualdub.org. Unzip and place in a folder on your PC, no need to install, simply run it from where you saved it. Do not use the latest beta version, use the stable version instead.

Resize is a filter within VDub, and Lanczos3 is one of the algorithms (filter mode) used for resizing, see attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Compression & deinterlace-vdub.jpg  
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #22
Major Player

Ervin,
Ok you are talking about native 4:3 footage correct?
Mine if 720x480? I assume I just leave it alone?

also I could not figure out how or why yours was set at 200% for the relative % did you increase your size?

Last question.
This is just for resize correct? Should this be before of after deinterlace? and what filter do you use to deinterlace?

Thanks
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
- Encoded to mp4/H264 in MPEG Streamclip, multipass

This program does not allow me to save the file as an MPEG-4. Or does it?
Do I select the save as AVI and then just change the extention to .MPEG4 or -4? or MP4

also where does it give the choice of multi pass and stream clip? I never noticed these setting's?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite