Videoguys' Matrox RT.X2 LE FAQ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #1
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Videoguys' Matrox RT.X2 LE FAQ

We've been getting a lot of questions about the exciting new Matrox RT.X2 LE and we'd like to share some of the most common answers with you to help you decide to get the Hardware Advantage today!

Part I - Introducing Matrox RT.X2 LE

What is the difference between Matrox RT.X2 LE and other capture cards?

Matrox RT.X2 LE is a real-time hardware accelerator. This means that
it is far more powerful then just a simple Input/Output capture card.
With Matrox RT.X2 LE you get real-time performance that goes beyond
what you can accomplish from software alone.

Can I edit HDV footage with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 on its own? Why do I need a Matrox RT.X2 LE?

Although Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 software alone can edit HDV footage,
it's not going to give you the same smooth, quick editing environment
you are used to with DV footage. Not only does HD footage contain more
pixels and bits of information, the compressions used put a huge
burden on your systems resources. Matrox RT.X2 LE alleviates this
burden and editing HDV footage is a breeze. It is BETTER because it is
real-time!

So what exactly do you mean by real-time?

Matrox RT.X2 LE hardware allows you to play back multiple layers of HD
video and graphics directly from the Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 timeline
without rendering. That includes adding filters, transitions and
special effects. That's something that software can't do on its own,
even with the fastest quad core computers. For example; our DIY 6 Quad
Core machine with Matrox RT.X2 LE can play back a timeline that
includes two layers of HDV video with a slow motion filter on one
layer and color filters on the other, as well as a graphic overlay.
This plays back in real-time, directly from the timeline, with no
rendering!

For the rest of the RT.X2 FAQ, follow this link http://www.videoguys.com/rtx2le_faq.html

Gary
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Tourist

I just bought CS3

Hey I just bought CS3 and have been creating free content for http://www.ignitemotion.com
I do see the need for the card in some cases but now that I have CS3 how can I get the card by it self?
Also the only advantage is editing in realtime, if I am willing to wait for rendering I don't need the card right?
Tyler Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #3

RT.X2 hardware alone is $995

You get the advantage of realtime output, accelerated encoding and I/O

Gary
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Major Player

I miss this question in the FAQ:
- Whats the difference between RT.X2 and RT.X2 LE other than the price?
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #5

We do answer that:

What's the difference between the original Matrox RT.X2 and the New Matrox RT.X2LE hardware?

The features and benefits of both cards are the same except for the overall physical design and DVI Digital Output. Matrox RT.X2 LE is a ¾ length PCIe 1x card and the original Matrox RT.X2 is a full size PCIe 1x card with a handle on the end of it. This is a big deal because the smaller hardware may now fit in more motherboards and installation is a breeze. Matrox RT.X2 LE offers HD output via Component while Matrox RT.X2 also includes a DVI output. This digital DVI HD output is not necessary for most videographers but is a very cool feature for those doing professional color grading and other exacting work that requires a precise pixel-by-pixel rendition on the video.

Gary
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #6

We do get asked all the questions constantly, so we wanted to put it all in one place. Feedback from those interested in the RT.X2 le has been quite positive.

As for the mass postings - I wish I had a better excuse. Business is rough all over and we're trying to create some buzz. I'll tone it down.

Gary
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I think I'm with Gary on this one - the facts are that Videoguys have some quality info and they want to share it...I don't see a problem with posting the same FAQs in a number of places.

And when it comes to making a purchase - whether it's a Matrox card or something else - I like to hear a wide collection of views about the benefits/weaknesses and user experiences.

And if Gary & Co are trying to boost business activity by producing quality info about new products then we, as a community, are the ones who benefit. At least Gary has succeeded in raising the profile of the new Matrox card and answering some questions about it.

Thanks Gary for your efforts - I'm not currently in the market for a Matrox card but I am considering following your guidance on building a DIY PC edit system.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you for posting this info! I've been looking at these cards for quite a while now......

I'm really excited by the fact that you can edit HDV just like dv footage. I am currently running a quad core machine and my renders are slow and annoying.

I would like to know more about what kinds of options we have for preview monitors with this card. I am currently using two 21 inch LCDs but would like to have a preview monitor for a client to watch while I edit and for accurate color correction. Will this card help me out in this area?
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #9

The RT.X2 LE has component video output, so you can use any HD TV with component input to monitor.

The original RT.X2 has DVI and component output. you can use the DVI out to drive an HD computer monitor for full screen HD playback.

Gary
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bettan View Post
Business is rough all over and we're trying to create some buzz. I'll tone it down.
Gary
It's fine by me - the prefix SPONSOR gives you plenty of leeway in my book.

I'm struggling with render times and very interested in this
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:04 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for the info Gary!

Like Sean, I've been reading up on your DIY PC systems. And now, will be reading up more on the recent Matrox card.

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite