Ppro CS3 trial package crashes computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Ppro CS3 trial package crashes computer

I have fixed the problem in my other thread (fouled up file system) but, now I can't get PPro CS3 to run. I installed the trial version about 4 days ago on an HP AMD duo core machine with 1GB ram and a 250 GB disc, running Win XP with sp2. I got PPro to run once and then closed the programme normally. Now, every time I try to start it, it crashes the computer back to a hard re-boot. It goes through loading the drivers and then goes to a black screen before the 'new/open project' selection window. This has happened multiple times in a row - I can never get the programme to run. The point in the load cycle with the crash is exactly the same point where it crashed and fouled up my disc.

I also tested it out on a separate boot disc on this computer which was running XP MCE with exactly the same results.

I know that many people use PPro with excellent results. So, I'm not trying to complain about the product. But, I am looking at buying the full Adobe package through work (where it will be installed on a new Dell quad core workstation with 3GB RAM and Vista Pro). I need the web and related packages and got PPro as part of a package deal. I'd like to be able to use it but can't risk getting into a situation where my primary computer also crashes regularly.

Any advice on what I can try would be appreciated.
Nick Birkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

With 1 GB of RAM you might be a bit light-on for memory for Premier Pro 3. Take notice of better brains than mine on this subject.

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 20th, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Major Player

I have succesfully finished several projects on my laptop with just 1 GB RAM, CS3 and Vista (!). That amount of RAM is not a cause for crashing.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #4
New Boot

OK, I solved this one but the problem was silly. Adobe has a tech note on the problem (#332888). It was with the audio card device driver. With an integrated Realtek sound card, you need an up-dated driver which makes it ASIO compatible. After I up-dated the driver, PPro boots fine.

This looks like really bad code design by Adobe. Fair enough they need ASIO sound cards. but, there is no way that the absence of such a sound card driver should lead to a crash of the entire computer. At worst, the programme should crash and not start-up but leave the rest of the system OK. Since this is a known compatibility issue, PPro should have a short code fragment to check that the sound card driver is acceptable and, if not, close with a polite error message (or, even better, run a code fragment which offer to up-date the driver. Or, even better still, check for the driver compatibility when the programme is being installed and ensure that the driver is up-dated.).
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If it worked perfectly now, how could they expect to charge you money for future versions?
Andrew J Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Major Player

The thing with Premiere is, though, that the amount of little bugs and annoyances piles up with each subsequent release, not improve.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Nick Birkett;922479]OK, I solved this one but the problem was silly. Adobe has a tech note on the problem (#332888). It was with the audio card device driver. With an integrated Realtek sound card, you need an up-dated driver which makes it ASIO compatible. After I up-dated the driver, PPro boots fine.

how did you get that problem code? did it just show it? because I have cs3 w premiere pro, and it keeps shuting down on me, giving me problems
Victor Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #8
New Boot

Not quite sure if you are asking how I got the driver update or if you are asking for something else. I got the driver update by using the manage option of 'my computer'. I went to the audio driver section and clicked the driver up-date option. That fixed my problem.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Im asking how you got that error code, did it pop up every time the program had an error? or did you look for it on premiere ie "tools" "edit"
Victor Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #10
New Boot

I never got an error code with this problem. Rather, the computer just re-booted every time I tried to start PPro.

I had another thread about a fouled up file system. There was an error code for that problem but the code flashed on the screen for such a short time that it wasn't readable. I don't remember now how I eventually managed to read the code. It wasn't through PPro though since my computer wouldn't boot at all.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #11
Trustee

PP CS3 seems to be very sensitive to audio issues. Never had the problem described here but I'm currently mucking through with a workaround to what is apparently an audio codec issue (according to Adobe tech support). PP would crash fairly randomly, and rendering or transcoding would crash/fail at 99% more often than not.

The fix is uninstalling CS3, uninstalling the two other audio programs then re-installing CS3. Haven't had time to do all that yet.

In Adobe's defense, what their software does is pretty amazing and mind bogglingly complex. The fact that it requires a fairly controlled operating environment is not unreasonable. I understand this because of 20 years experience in the software business.

Now, if they'd just fix the memory leak.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
In Adobe's defense, what their software does is pretty amazing and mind bogglingly complex. The fact that it requires a fairly controlled operating environment is not unreasonable. I understand this because of 20 years experience in the software business.
I agree 100% with this comment. But, if a programme needs specific components or operating system features to work probably, then good programme design would be to check that the environment is 'right' and provide constructive messages and remedial code to fix the deficiencies. Having your programme crash the operating system with no indication of why, is not very helpful :)
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Trustee

Nick... Yes... this is the right way to do it. But the modern software development business model requires companies to balance features and bug fixes. New features make a company money. Bug fixes keep a company from losing money. It's a high wire act that each company handles differently.

It's interesting to note that model was shifted dramatically by Microsoft over ten years ago when they started shipping software that was buggier than the competition. This was done to get new functionality out sooner and made them more money. If consumers hadn't accepted the MSFT products the software world wouldn't be the way it is today.

What Adobe could do to help those of us who trip over bugs in their products is to publish their error codes. That would save us calls to to tech support. But remember that Adobe support is a billable product too.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite