Using 2.35:1 Aspect ratio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Using 2.35:1 Aspect ratio

Using my Canon XH-A1, I turned on the Aspect Ratio guide to 2.35:1 and shot some footage in Canon's 30F mode. I know that the aspect guides don't do anything to the actual footage recorded to tape, but is there a setting in PPro to display safe guides in 2.35:1 aspect ratio?

I did some additional searching around, and found the Crop effect in PPro. This seems like an easy solution! By capturing some footage with the aspect guide on and eyeballing it, it looks like cropping 10% from the top and bottom achieves the proper aspect ratio (2.35:1). Is this about right?

Last edited by Julian Frost; August 21st, 2008 at 04:53 PM.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
Using my Canon XH-A1, I turned on the Aspect Ratio guide to 2.35:1 and shot some footage in Canon's 30F mode. I know that the aspect guides don't do anything to the actual footage recorded to tape, but is there a setting in PPro to display safe guides in 2.35:1 aspect ratio?

I did some additional searching around, and found the Crop effect in PPro. This seems like an easy solution! By capturing some footage with the aspect guide on and eyeballing it, it looks like cropping 10% from the top and bottom achieves the proper aspect ratio (2.35:1). Is this about right?
  • Project
  • Project Settings
  • General
  • Set the Title Safe area to what you think is correct
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mitchell.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Julian,

Mitchell has something there, and I think you can use an image as a template to parse a ratio out to fit the aspect you want.

Here is a png file that could help. It is from the Wiki site and is used by permission.

The purple image is 2.39:1, quite close enough for output.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Using 2.35:1 Aspect ratio-ratios.png  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the PNG. I'll give it a try and see how closely it matches my "eyeballing". Basically, what I did, was put a sheet of newspaper in front of the camera, turned on the aspect ratio guide and captured some footage. Then, I looked at the captured footage and compared it to the live image in the camera's LCD screen. I noted the position of the Aspect Guides on the LCD screen relative to the print on the newspaper. I then simply used PPro's Crop effect to crop the top and bottom of the captured footage so that cropped portions matched what I saw in the live LCD view. This came out to 10% at the top and bottom. I'venot used this aspect ratio before, and it definitely adds a certain something to the composition. I can't wait to shoot some landscape footage with it this coming "weekend" (I work weekends so today is my Monday, unfortunately).
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Julian,

You're welcome, but do remember that your show is still a HDV show at that aspect. It will have to be letter-boxed to simulate actual viewing at that ratio.

You could just overlay a matte like similar to this over the project when you're done.

My best,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Using 2.35:1 Aspect ratio-matte.png  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Mike,

I think we're achieving the same thing, but by different means. When I use the Crop effect, it looks like it's placing black bars at the top and bottom (and side, if you want it to), just like the matte you posted. PPro doesn't crop the center section and expand it to fill the frame, or anything like that. The footage is still HDV (1440x1080) and when I output it to an MPEG2 file, it has black bars (letterboxing) on the top and bottom. If I were to use the matte you so generously provided, it would be the same, no?
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Can you post a 10 second clip of your footage?
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #9
Major Player

Sure... here's a clip.

When I uploaded it to Exposureroom, I told it to crop to 2.35:1 aspect ratio which cropped the mattes.

Here's another clip, with the mattes in place.

Last edited by Julian Frost; August 28th, 2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added the 2nd clip.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

just for reference: 2,40 (or 2,39 if you prefer) from HD format is 1920x817. Thats the preferred size the lab request to transfer to film.
Martin Chab is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite