Applying Lens Vignettes in PP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Applying Lens Vignettes in PP

For certain shots, I really like the way a slight lens vignette draws the focus toward the center of the shot.

My only problem is I don't know how to do it right. I've created a Photoshop document with a black to transparent gradient that runs from each corner of the frame in toward the center of the frame covering a small portion of each corner. Yes it's rounded.

Plop that puppy on top of footage with sky at the top and some busy dark detail on the bottom, drop opacity to 50% and the look is epic. Do the same to footage with light corners and it looks like the dog's dinner.

I've searched the boards and found something. Does anyone know the secret handshake?

TIA
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Tripp, first try a Set Matte effect and see how it looks. You may have to reverse the filter.

Another cool one I use all of the time with a Photoshop matte is the Compound Blur effect. For your matte, you'll want white and black pixels (not transparent). Anything feathered (gray) will be somewhere in between. Then play with the blurriness setting. Make sure that the proper track is selected for the effect and the track the matte sits on is hidden.

You can also use a track matte (check the help sections), it's just not quite as flexible as the other two.

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
BrownCow Productions - Affordable Full-Service Video Production
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Trustee

Brian... Thanks for the info. I'll play with a Set Matte today and see how that works. I've used track mattes before for different effects, most recently to blur backgrounds.

I'm a little fuzzy on what you're doing with the compound blur effect (no pun intended) but it might give me better options for background blurs. If you have a screen grab, I'd love to see what it's supposed to look like if I get it working right.
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

A good product that gives you great control is Red Giant Looks.....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
A good product that gives you great control is Red Giant Looks.....
It's actually on my list to get. I'm kicking myself that I missed the killer sale that DJ had on it a few months back. Can't justify a full price spend at this point.
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Hey Tripp, take a look at the video here: Shepherd Nativity Video Shoot and you'll see a square matte that I used with compound blur to soften the edges of the video. Web compression doesn't do it much justice, but in full-rez it looks pretty cool.

Also check out my hero, Andrew Kramer's "old film look" tutorial for some creative vignetting ideas: VideoCopilot.net Video Tutorials & Post Production

Compound effects are cool in that you can play around with a matte, or even video elements, on a different track to "effect" the footage on another. In After Effects, the Difference Matte (I don't think it's available in PPro) creates distortion in pretty awesome ways (using RGB, luminance, or alpha info in horiz. and vertical planes). You can even create dynamic mattes with the Fractal Noise filter and apply it to video tracks to effect your footage to different degrees... from subtle all the way up to "trippy".

HTH,
Brian
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Trustee

Brian... Yeah, I see what you mean in your video. I prefer rounded edges because it looks more organic to me.

I always find VCP excellent. I always learn something new. My deal is, though, I'd rather not have to take it all over to AE to do. The missing pieces in PP are the blending modes you have in AE and Photoshop.

I have Boris FX, which has both film grain and film damage filters. The VCP tutorial you pointed to has given me an idea for one segment, but I still want to find a way to create vignettes in PP.
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Tripp, you'll be pleased to know that blending modes ARE supported in PPro CS4. Along with two-way Dynamic Link support with After Effects (with Production Premium bundle), it's so much easier now to open a PPro sequence in AE and color-grade/finish the sequence, maintaining full editing capabilities in PPro. Not to mention the standalone encoder that takes the render queue concept to PPro. It's a massive timesaver for me with multiple sequences to render on most projects.

CS4 is a HUGE upgrade, IMHO. I love it.

HTH,
Brian
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
It's actually on my list to get. I'm kicking myself that I missed the killer sale that DJ had on it a few months back. Can't justify a full price spend at this point.
Here you go Tripp.... you just have to wait till November 18... remember its only a one day sale... :-)

Toolfarm - One Day Sale
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #10
Trustee

Ray... That's awesome! Thanks!

I got an enewsletter from Red Giant saying that they were selling all their products for 40% off one day next week, but you had to check each day. This is a better deal!
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite