CS4 - 4.0.1 update - "Edit in Audition" is back! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Trustee

CS4 - 4.0.1 update - "Edit in Audition" is back!

Very good news - tho' admittedly only for those on a PC.

(It was removed from CS3 because it couldn't be offered cross-platform .... a decision which personally I thought really sucked).

Last edited by Graham Hickling; November 22nd, 2008 at 05:07 AM.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Trustee

About time. It only took them two years to repair what was not broken in the first place.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Only no audition for Mac, and Sounbooth is not very useful.

But good that's back for Windows users.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Major Player

I'll be satisfied when Audition is back, not when "Edit in Audition" is back. A very insulting desicion, IMO, by Adobe, to replace it in CS3/CS4 with the watered-down, "Audition-for-dummies" Soundbooth. Why did they acquire one of the best audio editing apps on the market in the first place, if they're not going to offer it properly to their customers?
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shohet View Post
I'll be satisfied when Audition is back, not when "Edit in Audition" is back. A very insulting desicion, IMO, by Adobe, to replace it in CS3/CS4 with the watered-down, "Audition-for-dummies" Soundbooth. Why did they acquire one of the best audio editing apps on the market in the first place, if they're not going to offer it properly to their customers?
Audition is very much back, it's just not free with the Suite anymore. For a mere $99, Suite owners can "upgrade" to get the app. admittedly we should have gotten in the first place, as you suggest.

My only guess is that some video folks must have complained to Adobe that Audition was too complicated. What the real issues were, IMHO, is that Audition was sooo un-Adobe-like... just a dolled-up Cool Edit Pro with a foreign interface and toolset compared to other historic Adobe apps. Since I'm new to it, I have the same complaints about Flash... still sooo Macromedia-like, not Adobe. Every time Adobe acquires a product or industry, it takes them several versions to get the "look and feel" of the Adobe culture into it I guess. Plus, they run the risk of alienating the former users of the title. Rock and a hard place, I guess.

Soundbooth is plenty Adobe-like... it just kinda sucks compared to Audition. I just wish they had given me the choice... or thrown them both into the Suite. For 99 bucks, though, it's definitely worth getting Audition 3... and sending Adobe corporate a nice bit of stink-mail about it. They will eventually listen if enough of us complain.

My $0.02,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Major Player

By back, I meant back in CS. The whole point of a production suite is to have a complete....well, production suite at your disposal.

I agree that Audition is not the most intuitive software for Adobe users, but at least it's a capable editor, and don't forget until this update there was no OMF support to pass a project along to Protools/Cubase, so this was extremely crippling in CS3.

If Adobe thinks some editors need a quick and simple solution for audio sweetening, they should incorporate something like Soundbooth as a feature into PP or Audition, not cripple the production suite by making Audition a standalone upgrade.

just my 2 cents...
cheers,
Jon.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Major Player

I think Audition integration the way it is now is kind of useless anyway, unless it can import whole sequence for advanced mixing. Clip-based audio editing can be done in freeware Audacity too.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:30 AM   #8
Trustee

Dude - you need to buy Nuendo, not Premiere, if that's what you need.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:26 AM   #9
Major Player

My gripe is not about Premiere. Premiere leads the pack when it comes to audio editing (except Vegas). My gripe is that Adobe has two multitrack editors and not one of them can be put to appropriate use.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite