Is there a way to include extra files on a DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Is there a way to include extra files on a DVD?

I'm creating home movie DVDs for distribution to the family, and I have a collection of photographs that I'd like to include on the DVD.

Nero will let me build a DVD by using compiled video (saved to hard disk) but it won't accept any non-video files for that type of burn.

Premiere Elements 4.0 (the best I have at this point) doesn't seem to have a mechanism to add files that aren't part of the video composition either.

Is there another way to do it? I've gotten DVDs before that included extra files that could be accessed by a PC, so I know the technology isn't the problem, but I'm not sure what I need to do to make my own disks this way. Any suggestions?
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Adobe Encore will allow you to do this quite easily. Every version since 1.0 has that feature, so you don't necessarily need the newest release or anything like that.
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Douglas,

If you are using the full version of Nero, ignore the "Wizard" option and proceed as follows:
File/New/DVD/DVD-Video/New

That will create a new compilation, with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder automatically created. Drag your DVD files into the VIDEO_TS folder.

Then create whatever other folders you wish by right-clicking within the compilation panel and selecting the "create folder" option. Add your "extra" files into those folders, either by drag-and-drop or right-click and "add files", then burn your disk.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for your reply, Graham.

Based on your recommendation, I checked and I'm using an OEM version of Nero.

I did some poking around on the internet and, to some extent, it looks like people aren't real happy with later versions of Nero (mine is 5.5, I have a few copies of 6 OEM and 7 Essentials too) so I wasn't sure what version I should look at.

It looks like they're trying to bundle a boatload of "iffy" software together (kind of like Microsoft I guess) like TV viewers, etc. that don't help a person burn CDs or DVDs.

Is there a version of Nero that seems to be worth considering?

Thanks again for any suggestions you might have.
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Doug, I'm using Version 7. The full "suite" is indeed ridiculous - when I install I deselect EVERYTHING except the core Nero application (which continues to work well for me). I also disable the "Wizard" mode.

Doing this means any dvd encoding etc has to be done in other applications - I use Nero for burning and nothing more.

The steps I describe should work in any version, including 5. When I suggested the "full" version I meant not in Nero "Express" (and perhaps not in "Essentials", which I have never used).

From what I recall, OEM version 5 should work fine....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite