Rendering files in CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Rendering files in CS3

I have had a few other threads on this issue. However, now I can provide more detail and hope that some can provide an answer for me.

I have recently purchased and XHA1 and now attempting to manage HD files.
The subject is 1080i 60i footage. Attached is a link with three files.
1.) .mpg format (12 sec)
2.) .m2v format (9 sec)
3.) .mpa sound format of the #2 clip.

all of these files are of the same clip. Kids indoor flag football. This is just one snap and takes about 9 seconds.

When I render as #1 shows I get a clip that is 3 seconds longer. It plays as if it is in SloMo but very chopppy. (Video and Audio)

However, if I change the format and render the two files at the same time as in #2 & #3. It all turns out fine.

My computer:
Dual Quad Core 2.3Ghz
64 Bit Vista system

I have three hard drives that I am using.
Operating system is on C: 72000 RPM

57.8 MB/S Written
66.9 MB/S Read

My source file is on my external drive 1 TB RAID0 connected with eSATA.
90.3 MB/S Written
94.5 MB/S Read

The encoded file is going to an internal 7200 RPM drive
109 MB/S Written
109.4 MB/S Read

Graphics Card:
GeForce 8800 GT OC
512MB GDDr3

If you don't mind. Please take a moment and download the two files #1 & #2 for the below link and tell me what you think may be the issue.

I know the Processor is below the minimum recomended spec. However, I have read that several folks here have had success with less. ( Adobe tells me it is not the issue)

This files can be copied from here
Untitled Document
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Haven't checked the files, but are you sure you didn't shoot in Canon's 24F mode. I suspect that would lead to the results seem to be getting if you attempted to capture it as 30i.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Major Player

I am not sure. I think it is 60i. I have never changed the setting since I got the Camera and on the screen it is displaying 60i. I assume that if that is the problem the .m2v file would have the same issue and the file would play smooth.
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Trustee

I put the hq file thru MpegStreamclip, which reports exactly what you thought, 60i, 29.97 fps, 1440x1080 hdv. I played the clip in Final Cut 6.0.5, looks perfectly normal there. I have seen stuttery playback in PremierePro CS4, on my quadcore 2.83 ghz (Intel 9550) system , so maybe it's just an Adobe thing....//Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Battle,
Thank you for your help.
Did you play the file from your PC with a Media player? If yes, was it also jittery and slow?
Like I described?
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I downloaded and tested all of the clips, there is absolutely no problem with either one of them.

The first one is HDV indeed, mpeg2 CBR video @ 18.5Mbps, 1440x1080 pixels, 10 seconds and 27 frames long, 29.97fps/60i, upper first. Both audio and video fit the HDV2 standard. The second video file is the exact same except it has no audio, the third file is audio only, exact same lengths as first video file.

They all play fine in MPlayer Classic and on my Edius timeline.

Your computer might be too slow indeed, that can give you choppy playback. What are your PC specs?
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Ervin,
Thanks for the reply...
My specs are above ^^^

Is it possible that my sound card could be the enimy here?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Oh goody, your PC is a tank compared to my sedan... it shuld be flying with any HDV file! I overlooked that - it's definitely not the specs.

The rendered file plays choppy in your video player (which one?) or on the Premiere timeline?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:57 AM   #9
Major Player

It plays flawless in the PremireTime line which tells me me one of two things.

1.) The timeline uses less resolution and is easier.
2.) or Windows Media player is has an issue. (I have been leaning this way)

Because of this I downloaded VLC media player. Which appears to not have near the resolution and displays interlaced artifacts much differently than WMP. (So I am not sure what I got)
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Windows Media does not have a built-in mpeg playback codec, so it is likely using some third party codec for playing HDV. I use M-Player Classic; when you download the free Quicktime Alternative version 1.8.1 (I use this one for compatibility with MPEG Streamclip, has mpeg support) it comes with bundled M-Player Classic. It's a very fast, very reliable player, I use it for everything from avi to DVD-s, QT, Flash.

And video quality is flawless. I highly recomend it, try and see if you like it.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Major Player

This is strange, I keep thinking I am getting close just to realize I am further away. I have done some more test. I have downloaded the free Mplayer Classic and have the same issue. I have played the file on my laptop (4 yr old XP) and have the same issue. I have played the file on my wifes (new vista) laptop and it is fine.

I am now going to video my screen with my XL2 and let you guy's see what I am seeing here.

Very strange!!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Major Player

I have added a flash file to the web pages and you can witness what I am seeing on my PC.

If the file does not pop up imediately give it just a second.

I don't think this is a render issue. However, I do want to make sure I know what the problem is.

Jittery HD video in playback

If you can please let me know what you think. I am lost on this issue.

***Note the video of the Video playback was done with my XL2/SD and has never had a problem***
» Yes, I know the quality of the footage could have been better....I promise you...it was all in the operator :-))
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
Battle,
Thank you for your help.
Did you play the file from your PC with a Media player? If yes, was it also jittery and slow?
Like I described?
I played the clip with mpegStreamclip and with Final Cut 6.0.5 on a timeline, looked fine in both of those....this is on a Mac, of course.../B.Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite