HDV in timeline and audio playback is 1 frame behind, but... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Trustee

HDV in timeline and audio playback is 1 frame behind, but...

... it's not really. The problem is that only the playback from the timeline is a single frame off. If I try to cut on a beat or an audio hit (which I do a lot) and get it right on the timeline, the rendered output will have the video trail the audio by one frame. This happens on DVD, h.264, and BD. I can cut to the audio playback on the timeline and then slide the back one frame before output and everything will be aces.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, gotta fix? I'd hate to have to live this new workaround along with all the other workaround Premier saddles me with.

Here's the system and project specs:
Quad core 6600 2.6GHz
4GB System memory
Vista 32 bit
CS3 - all program, driver and OS updates installed
Selective startup mode

Native HDV project: 1440x1080 PAR 1.33
60i or 24p - happens at both frame rates
Video and audio assets have the same properties as the project

TIA
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Just out of curiosity, is your timeline showing audio units, or drop frame timecode where the CTI marker resides?
I've always had wonky results when cutting on a timeline that displayed audio units.

Good luck!!!
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Just out of curiosity, is your timeline showing audio units, or drop frame timecode where the CTI marker resides?
Timecode. Audio units would just confuse me. (grin)
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Tripp:

What are you outputting preview to ? And throught what ? If you are going to separate monitor, what happens if you pull preview monitor back on to same screen you have time line on ?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:18 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
What are you outputting preview to ?
The program monitor on a second computer screen.
Quote:
And throught what ?
nVidea 8800
Quote:
If you are going to separate monitor, what happens if you pull preview monitor back on to same screen you have time line on ?
Don't know. But I'll try that today and report back.

This is a non-scientific observation, but my gut tells me that the audio playback is delayed rather than the video being ahead, if that makes sense.

BTW, the audio hardware is RealTek on-board high definition. The delay is the same regardless of whether I use the analog speaker audio output or the digital SP/DIF connection.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Trustee

I just tried playing the video on the same monitor as the timeline and there is no difference. It's still playing the audio about 1 frame behind the video.
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Major Player

When you are manually scrubbing the CTI, if you look visually at the waveform of the audio, is there an actual synch problem between audio and video? or is it only during playback (spacebar) that the audio seems to lag behind?
Check in "Playback Settings" that "External Device" is set to "None". At least on my system, if it's set to "DV", it causes the playback to lag behind the actual events on the timeline.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shohet View Post
...is there an actual synch problem between audio and video? or is it only during playback (spacebar) that the audio seems to lag behind?
It's only during playback. Waveform peak is aligned with first frame of new video clip so the edit is on the hit. In order to get the timeline to play back in sync, I have to slide the audio one frame earlier on the timeline. That makes timeline playback correct but the final output is off.

External device is set to none. I'm editing HDV.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite