Import AC3 into PP3 to edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Import AC3 into PP3 to edit

Can it be done? I have a client that wants me to take footage from their training DVDs make a few minor changes and export as FLV for their online training manual. The majority of the files their in house Media Producer gave me are MPG with aiff audio streams, but about 30% of the files are the DVD ready renders (MPG with AC3 audio) I cannot seem to make any sense of the AC3 audio in PP3 is there a way around this? a plug-in? a trusted converter? Thanks for the help!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:27 AM   #2
Trustee

If you copy the file "ad2ac3dec.dll" from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Encore CS3 to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and then start PP, you should be able to import AC3 audio. An alternative is to convert the AC3 to WAV using something like Switch Sound File Converter, which is freeware and the Plus version is attractively priced.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I know you can do it in CS4, I've done it, but I don't think you can in CS3 without the above trick that Harm mentioned.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I should have clarified this in the OP but I have the standalone version of PP3. Until i had this client I used Vegas Pro only. I purchased PP3 just for their editing so I don't have encore. If someone were to copy their file "ad2ac3dec.dll" and send it to me would that work? Would anyone mind sending it to me? Thanks!
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #5
Trustee

Bryan, PP CS3 includes Encore. Just make sure to install it. If you have the download version, go to your account at Adobe and look for Encore. It is a separate download.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Hmmm...I will look into this. Thanks for the info. It was a download but I could have sworn I bought it by itself. Thanks!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Had one heck of a time trying to find out if my CS3 download included Encore but in the end I found the easier solution was an upgrade to CS4. The client I do my Adobe work for provided the upgrade to solve this and put me on the same version they are on. So thanks to everyone for the helpful information but CS4 was the easier solution for me...
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I use the AC3ACM plugin for Windows then VirtualDubMod to mux the AC3 into a AVI with blank video to import it into Vegas. I get all 6 channels of a 5.1 file.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite