CS4 and 64bit Vista at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Major Player

CS4 and 64bit Vista

I have read that CS4 really takes advantage and just smokes on 64bit Vista. Anybody care to comment and give their opinion?
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Anytime I see smoke coming from the PC, I get wary. Although Vista 64 is supported does not improve on the OS. It is still Vista and that means a memory hog with a giant footprint, a cumbersome UAC and - as a number of IT professionals put it - bug ridden. They tell me: "You don't want Vista on your system". Opinions differ, but from what I hear you may be better off with XP 64, or Server 2008.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Harm, thanks for the reply. Personally I haven't had much problems with 32bit Vista. My kids got laptops for Christmas and I've kept Vista Home Basic on them, with no problems so far. They are only doing basic computing though, and are editing or making DVDs. On a side note, I've been playing with 64bit Win 7 and I really like it. I haven't done any video editing, but I have done some audio work with Audacity with no hick-ups.
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use Vista 64 with no problems. Most things turned off so it looks much like XP!!!! I have no problems running Edius 5, Vegas 8, CS3 etc.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Major Player

CS4 is running quite well for me on a dual boot windows XP 32bit and Vista 64 bit system, quad core AMD 2.4ghz, 8 gig ram. I upgraded the computer with ram and the OS to take advantage of the extra ram and have been very happy. Vista runs very well, I have yet to see any bugs in over a month of daily hard use. The performance difference is readily felt as in After Effects I can get longer ram previews in Vista, have not had any sort of 'out of memory' warning, and performance is snappier and more responsive even with very high task loads. So while I have it on both OS's I prefer it on Vista 64. I have been able to use all my current plugs in both OS including Magic Bullet Looks 1.2, Boris FX9.2.1, Graffiti 5.3, and Trapcode plugins as well as a number of Video Copilot plugins like Twitch and his presets. All of these are installed in Vista's x86 program mode and work fine (although Boris might hiccup but I haven't worked much with it lately).

As has been mentioned around here most of the CS4 apps are not 64bit applications other than Photoshop Extended (which runs great btw). At least in the production suite...I think some of the Design Premium apps might also be 64 bit.

Having lived with XP for several years and relying on my computer for my videography business I was quite concerned with the bug rumours and issues that people say break Vista. Well, I won't say that anyone elses experience is wrong...but it hasn't been my experience. If I could just get 64bit (or at least Vista compatible) drivers for my RME Hammerfall 9653 audio card I would likely re-format the whole computer and just go with Vista. Given that the above mentioned audiocard is now 5 or more years old it will not be updated to Vista compliance. Down the road if I replace it then I can free myself of XP and focus more on a totally Vista 64bit machine.

Oh yeah...Premier seems to run fine as well but I use Vegas 8.0c for editing. I've worked with Premier but I don't like it as much.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #6
New Boot

I do not have any issues so far with Vista 64bit and CS4. I've had the computer for over a month and have been using all aspects of the CS4 master collection from the night I got home with the PC. Even including a lot of video editing (nothing too intensive though) I have yet to have a hiccup at all.

*knock on wood*
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #7
Major Player

If you want to use tons of RAM, Vista 64 is your only choice now. It runs very smooth and stable, does not have compatibility problems like XP64 and generally Vista is far cry now from what it used to be in late 2006, give it a break already!
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for all the information. I have another thread on the DVD delivery forum and what I'm looking at doing is building a DVD duplication/authoring station. I thought I had read that CS4 Premiere was designed for 64bit, so I just thinking of how I can get the fastest encoding to DVD. I'm not 100% sure which way I'm going to go, just doing some research.

Thanks again.
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Major Player

In the CS4 Master Collection, the only program that installs a 64 bit version is Photoshop.

However, I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 on an AMD quad core system with 8gb of RAM. Everything FLIES. I can have several programs open at once and experience no lag or problems at all. My system is rock solid stable.

To the people that complain about Vista...have you used it, or are you just regurgitating what you read? I guess the latter every time I hear UAC mentioned...it's about 3 clicks to turn it off.

On a semi-related note, I'm running the Windows 7 beta as well, and that runs CS4 perfectly also.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Spencer View Post
To the people that complain about Vista...have you used it, or are you just regurgitating what you read? I guess the latter every time I hear UAC mentioned...it's about 3 clicks to turn it off.
Yes, on two machines and both users begged to get it off ASAP. No, from personal experience and the experience of IT professionals, so that last may qualify as regurgitating. However, there is no denying the triple footprint, the memory requirements and tests all over that show a DECREASE in performance in comparison to XP64.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Wrangler

Battle, I realized that the troubleshooting of your 32 bit system is really a separate topic, so moved the applicable posts to their own thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/high-defi...32-system.html
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Trustee

OK, thanks, I realize I was getting OT from CS4 there, but grateful for the help! /bv
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #13
Trustee

The big thing about CS4 and VISTA 64 is CS4 will use up to 2 gigs of memory per app. 64bit or not so if you are doing a project that has Premiere open, AE, Photoshop and Encore and you have 8 gigs of ram everything still runs fast. I have VISTA 64 and it runs much better than VISTA 32 I am running CS4 on it with no problems.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #14
Major Player

What about XP Pro 64bit?

I'm seriously thinking about installing Win XP Pro 64bit, alongside the XP Pro 32 bit OS, and allowing for dual boot (since it's already paid for).

There's enough documentation on the net, proving a 64 bit O.S. is the only way to go for seriously large ram requirements (ie CS4).

Question:
Is there anything inferior using XP Pro 64 bit vs. Vista 64 bit?
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Vista 64 is my OS of choice - it is very stable, responsive and not at all buggy in my experience. I develop video-related software on it and so it takes a lot of abuse. Same goes for 32-bit Vista which I periodically put through the wringer only for it to come out unscathed.

Since the majority of CS4 is 32-bit , the only real benefit of 64-bit Vista over 32-bit is that each CS4 application will get a full 2GB of memory to play with (possibly 3GB if ye olde 3GB trick is used and Adobe still code for it). You may also notice a modest (a few percent) increase in speed due to all the I/O stuff (especially hard drives) being 'thunked' to 64-bit and then 64-bit drivers used (this is all behind the Vista scenes).
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite