Preview to external monitor stops when applying effect in CS4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Trustee

Preview to external monitor stops when applying effect in CS4?

Okay, so I have been doing this since Premiere Pro 1.5 succesfully. I have the prject setup to preview on my HDTV via the component out of my video card. I set this up in playback settings and it works flawlessly....until CS4. I have it setup properly and indeed scrubbing the timeline shows the preview perfectly on my HDTV....however, add any effect to the clip and it stops. I added a simple color correction and the preview is gone...actually, the preview turns black and when I press spacebar all I see is the very first frame of the avi that is on the timeline. The window on the PC monitor shows the clips plus effects, just the secondary preview fails.

I am hoping that I am missing something.....I did have to set my preview options based on the sequence and not by the project, so I guess I am hoping there is some option to show timeline plus effects that I am not seeing here. I have the HDTV primarily to color correct, and since I Cannot see the output after applying color correction...it is well.....useless.

Anyone else experiencing this, or is this a glitch on my system?

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Wrangler

Marty, it is tough for anyone to help with these kind of questions without knowing the particulars of your system, hardware by brand and model as well as software including version.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Trustee

Pete, I am asking a general question if this behavior is new to CS4 versus older versions. I will post my system settings just to be helpful though. It is becoming more clear, that on my system with CS4, Premiere will not output anything from the timeline to a second monitor unless it is rendered, or, if the clip didn't need rendered at all. Dropping color bars into a brand new HDV preset get's me color bars in the samll program monitor and nothing on the second monitor. Build a preview and it magically re-appears. Change anything with that clip and it is gone again. This is not how CS3, PPRO2 or 1.5 behaved. Can anyone verify this is normal? I have the full CS3 suite running like a rock on my system with no real issues. I keep hoping to find a radio button that would turn this feature back on or something.

Specs: CS4 Production Suite and CS3 Production Suite
Quad Core Q6600
4GB Ram
Nvidia 7950 with 512mb video RAM
2TB Raided sata drives
SOund Blaster Audigy 2Zs card

As I said, this system is stable as can be with CS3. I tried the most simple project in CS4 and it is behaving badly....not crashing but not displaying things the way it should.

In aother example I dropped a PPRO title and a jpg next to each other on a brand new timeline. The title wouldn't show up at all then the jpg would only appear in the prject window....no preview on second monitor. I changed the quiality setting from auto to high qulaity, and then the title still would not appear but instead I got a negative version of the jpg appearing in it's place. So playing this 10 second clip showed 5 seconds of the jpg in negative and then 5 seconds of the jpg normal.....it didn;t even show the title.

Man...I was hoping that all this bad press CS4 has been getting was wrong. Since my system has been so reliable with CS3 I though I'd be one of the luck ones. 3 hours into my first super simple DV project on CS4 and I haven't accomplished anything except post on message boards why it isn't working.

Peace.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Marty, did you render effects in the work area? I'm not sure if it should matter, but that's the only thing I can think of. Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite