Premiere Pro 2 dummy spit. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Premiere Pro 2 dummy spit.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what this nonsense is all about?

What set it off was copying vision files and copying a project onto a USB drive, a 1TB Maxtor basics for a look at by another editor on another machine which has PP installed. I have done this sort of thing before but this is the first time PP2 has stamped its foot and gone sour on me like this. After copy to the drive, I then tested the project, it opened, found all its files and worked happily. I then disconnected the drive by the recommended method of the "safely remove hardware" route.

Alas, next time I attempted to open Premiere Pro, this business came up. It is reproduced below as a .jpg image. Image didn't take so the message is reproduced below in text.

The procedure entry point ??_U@YAPAXI@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll.

I thought, okay, the system is missing the drive and I put it back on. Uh-uh. No progress. So went via Explorer to the actual project, double-clicked on that and the same error message comes up, so something in PP2 seems to be broken.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Premiere Pro 2 dummy spit.-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Hart; March 1st, 2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: image didn't stick - text added
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Gosh, Bob, we're usually used to coming to you for advice on stuff like this, so if you can't figure it out, what hope do the rest of us have?

So when you say you get this message when you open PP2, is that just generically opening it without specifying a project? And when you say you went back to the actual project, is that the original (presumably on an internal HDD somewhere) or the copy on the USB drive?

I'm wondering if the copy was opened and then saved in a different version of Premiere, which would likely make it unreadable in PP2. And if somehow when you tested the copy on the external drive, it redirected PP2 to look elsewhere than normal for the project.

Just blatant guessing on my part, really, as the error messages are usually completely useless in helping you figure out what Premiere is upset about.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Adam

Thank you for your response.

I might be a bit of a savant on 35mm adaptors but when it comes to computers I am in "need to know? do I need to know that/ - not right now" land. The term "luddite" springs to mind.

Here is the rub. Since I posted, the problem has simply gone away spontaneously after three restarts of the computer. Everything is working as fine and happy as it ever did.

All I can write it off to is maybe a cockroach running across a circuit board, a momentary cosmic shift of the magnetic fields, malign vibes coming off my soul, presence of a cat, a ladder leaning against the roof of the house, passing bad wind near the operating computer or most likely, simple operator incompetence.

I am beginning to lean in the direction of my mismanagement combining with a Microsoft system update coming down the pipe from Uncle Bill who knows what is good for us.

There was one the day previously which installed on shutdown of the computer.

Internet Explorer flaked out bigtime this morning and has just as mysteriously come good but Internet Explorer does that quite often anyway.

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to respond.
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

FOOTNOTE TO ABOVE:

This problem could be a virus thing as Internet Explorer has gone apo and hangs. Data transfer stops and the CPU duty goes up to above 50% then drops off to zero.

All main antivirus vendors are blocked with a DNS error cannot find server message and a Google prompt to use a previously cached copy. - I don't use Google. I use Altavista.

Google turned up uninvited one day, locked internet explorer up and would not let go until I clicked the update prompt and it has been there in the header ever since.

I must confess I am a party to my own suffering here. A power surge took out two computers I normally use, one old one for webmail/internet and an even older one for the scriptwriting.

So the computer I am using for editing is also doing far too much other stuff and is vulnerable to invasions.

I would like to grab all virus writers by the ankles and whip their heads against the nearest treetrunk like the salmonella infected lizards they are.

Trouble is, I can't afford another computer, let alone the airfares and my back is crook, so fantasising will be about my best effort in this regard.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hm. I'm betting it's the cat.

Time for a system restore?
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Glad to hear it disappeared,

though not knowing the how/why can be annoying.

FWIW, found this on wiki:

"Msvcrt.dll (the Microsoft Visual C++ Run-Time) provides basic services, such as string comparison, memory allocation, etc., to programs compiled with Visual C++, versions 4.2 to 6.

In older versions of Windows, programs which linked against Msvcrt.dll were expected to install a copy in the System32 folder, but this contributed to DLL Hell. Newer versions of the operating system include the file to circumvent this problem."

Also found this:
msvcrt.dll - msvcrt.dll - DLL Information
which is basically a repetition, but has something that's supposed to check that library.

and this (which may shed the most light on it):
"The Procedure Entry Point ??_U@YAPAXI@Z Could Not Be Located in Msvcrt.dll" Error Message When You Start Windows

NOTE THAT THESE SEEM TO REFER TO NT 4...NOT TO XP, though I suspect the steps to fix it may be the same or similar.

Based on the above, it was more a Windows problem than a Premiere problem. If you recently rec'd some software update, that could well have been the cause...or the fix.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite