Need Help With Premiere Pro Computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 19th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Need Help With Premiere Pro Computer

I've been reading many posts here regarding compatibility issues with motherboards, video cards, etc., etc. Frankly it has me worried as I'm in the process of having a brand new system built.

Please advise me if the below system is robust enough to support my software needs. Should I anticipate any conflicts like I've been reading about? I'm spending a considerable amount of money, so I'd like to spend my time editing instead of playing the troubleshooting game like some of you have been experiencing.

Please give me your advice and/or help.

Thank you all for your anticipated help.

SOFTWARE
Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects 6, Adobe Encore DVD, Adobe Audidtion.

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
Case - Supermicro 600 watt rack mount
Motherboard - Asus P4C800 Deluxe w/800 FSB
Processor - Pentium 4 3.0GHz
RAM - 1GB DDR PC3200 Memory
Hard Drives - Three (3) Maxtor 200GB 7,200 RPM 8MB Buffer
Capture Card - Matrox RT.X100 Extreme Pro
Video Card - Matrox Parhelia 128MB
DVD - Pioneer DVRA06
CD-RW - Teac 52x24x52xDVD Player
Sound Card - Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Modem - US Robotics 56K Internal
ADS Pyro 3 Port Firewire Board
Windows XP Professional
Ken Levey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I wouldn't get the audigy since it's more for gaming use. I'd get something like the M-Audio Revolution.

2- Doesn't your capture card already have a firewire input? Why get the firewire card? (unless it was FW800 instead of FW400).

compatibility issues- I have no idea. Usually you should have no problems with using windows. Some other OSes don't have the right drivers for all your hardware.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Glenn, I'll look into the M-Audio Revolution card.

The 3 port firewire card will be used for outputing to a external hard drive.

I'm mainly concerned with hardware/software conflicts.

Thanks,

Ken
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Ken,

I've got an almost identical system and am having a great time with PP on it. Differences are:

36G Serial Drive for the system
ABIT IC7G Motherboard.

System is a screamer! Have fun
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #5
New Boot

Now I really can't wait to get this baby up and running! Thanks for the positive unput Rob.

Are you running the Matrox Parhelia 128MB video card? I read somewhere that PPro is unable to preview to a NTSC monitor, unlike P6.5. Is that true? Seems kinda strange?

I plan on starting with dual 21" NEC CRT's and was going to add a Sony 14" NTSC monitor later on.
Old October 20th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Ken,

Yep, no problem using the Parhelia 128MB video card. I'm driving two 18" Viewsonic LCD's. For video preview, I'm outputting DV all the time to a DSR45 deck that displays on a Pany monitor. Seem to recall that since I'm using both DVI outs from the card that I was limited to just the two displays but I'm not sure.

Dual 21"'s!! That'll be a lot of display space, kind of like horsepower, can never have to much!
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #7
Major Player

i just built a new system and getting a motherboard that your capture card is happy to co-exist with was the hardest part.

i wound up getting the motherboard that the capture card company told me they use in their turnkey systems and that helped tremendously.

most any modern system has enough horsepower...

i had a lot of problems with the video stuff. it turned out that the matrox p-650 card i was using appears to have problems doing video overlay in premiere pro only on lcd monitors and only on the second screen. if i keep the premiere monitor window on the primary lcd screen i'm all set. if i try and move it to the second lcd screen it goes black.

i can reproduce it at will by putting half the monitor window on one monitor and half on the other. half is fine and the other half is black.

kind of freaky.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:10 AM   #8
Wrangler

Ken I have an identical system-
Differences:
-ATi Radeon 9800pro (hey I'm a gamer too)Plus it supports dual monitors- I'm running 2 NEC LCD 1765s
-1gig of Corsaire XMS ultra-low-latency 3200 ram
-3 120gig Maxtor Serial ATA hds (2 in Raid-0...video drive)

Our mobo (Asus P4C800E) comes with multiple fire-wire ports built in and would offer better performance then running a firewire "card" that has to be bottle-necked thru the PCI bus.

Regarding the Audigy 2- I feel quite the contrary. I feel it's more than enough to do accurate audio editing especially paired with Klipshe speakers. Unless you are feeding audio via a mixing board or doing audio mastering (content creation) stick with the Audigy.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:04 AM   #9
New Boot

Glen, good to know others are using the same MOBO as I and are having good results.

What do you think about my choice of three (3) separate drives. I noticed that you have three, but choose to RAID two of them. I was advised that I shoud have three separate ones, 1-system, 1-render, and 1-capture. Is that true?

Thanks for your advice.

Ken

Ps. After doing further research, I'm staying with the Audigy 2 Platinum. The Platinum also has a drive bay module that has inputs, outputs, headphone jack and volume control.
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:31 AM   #10
Wrangler

I can understand the philosophy behind having a separate drive for each- it will allow access to both the drive the program is on, the drive your source material is on, and another to where the render is being created to. The reason for this would be for speed beings all the drives could be accessed simultaneously however you have the think...is your program going to be rendering faster than your HD can save data- NO. Your hardrive is far from your bottleneck during rendering. CPU and Ram are bigger culprits and you have them nailed down at a whopping 3ghz and 1gig respectively.
I simply use my Raid to store my renders as I complete them. Sure it's going to be accessing that drive for the source material in my render but that's why it's a Raid...it's fast. I've never had any problems rendering to the same drive the source material. Also I don't think my program is rendering faster than my raid can read/write...not even close.
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:12 AM   #11
Major Player

i don't have a matrox firewire card, but i found that on their site they have some great reference material on stuff like what to put on what drive and why they think its faster.

in fact they had a better reference on getting your motherboard to work with a firewire card than the manufacturer of the card i do have!

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:54 PM   #12
New Boot

Good point Glen. I guess it's a matter of preference and what size drives you start out with. I think either way will be fine.

Thanks
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM   #13
Wrangler

Yep, you'll be more than fine. Don't fret, everythings should be as smooth as clockwork.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:44 PM   #14
New Boot

Hey Glen - Any particular Klipsch speakers you had in mind? I have not purchased speakers at this time and would like something semi-high end to match my configuration.

Thanks,

Ken
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:57 AM   #15
Wrangler

Well I know there are better speakers for primarily audio monitoring but I decided to go with something thats going to sound good for both editing and gaming. I went with the Klipsch Promedia 5.1's but have since released the superior Klipsch Ultra 5.1's. Granted I have yet to do 5.1 editing in Vegas but at least I have the set-up to accomidate such a task. If you don't play PC games and only work on basic stereo editing (no surround mixing) you can simply go with the Klipsch 2.1's which are excellent as well.
Untill you hear these speakers you have no idea how good they sound. Definitly on par with my They could easily be used for home theatre speakers.

http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb230/_hand...my%20setup.jpg
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite