HDV Capture Problems with PPro CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV Capture Problems with PPro CS3

Just recently, I've been unable to capture from my XH-A1 on PPro CS3. It's worked well in the past.

But now, in the capture window, I no longer see the purple "playing on external device"; all I get is a black capture frame. I'm able to play and control the tape, but the REC button is greyed-out.

Any thoughts? I've changed nothing on the computer or on the camera.

I can still capture DV from the camera. It's just HDV footage that's giving me problems.

Computer: Mac OSX10

(And I know capturing from the camera is a no-no, but I really don't capture long form stuff; just occasional shots. And I'm consistently using Sony DVCAM blank tapes.)
James Orlowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Major Player

By your description it sounds like the settings or format of what you are trying to capture is different from what is set in your NLE. It sees your camera, but doesn't recognize the footage.

I know you said you didn't touch the settings, but how would you know it worked with DV if you didn't change them? :)

Also make sure you are shooting in HDV. That could be the enigma wrapped in the conundrum right there.

Last edited by David Chilson; April 17th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
David Chilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

In an effort to troubleshoot AFTER it wasn't working, I changed it to DV. I've since changed it back to HDV after successful tests with DV.

I'm still having issues, and in fact, very briefly when I open the capture window, I get the Premiere error "Can't activate recorder. Try resetting the camera" up in the top of the capture window. It then quickly changes to "Stopped".
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think I discovered the root of my problem (but I still don't know WHY it's happening).

The HDV clips I cannot capture into a PPRo CS3 HDV project were shot on the tape after a short sequence of DV clips on that same tape.

The HDV clips BEFORE the sequence of DV clips capture fine. The clips AFTER the DV clips won't capture as HDV, but I can capture them as DV into a DV job so long as I set the camera to downconvert the clips first.

Bizarre, but at least now I know what not to do in the future: mix DV and HDV on the same tape.

Anyone have any insight as to WHY this is a problem?
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #5
Trustee

I can't see how mixing clips on the tape can affect capture.
If you spool on to the HDV section, there can't be a way for the software to "know" that there are DV clips preceding them...

I've done it myself without any problems.
Maybe, you shouldn't allow the camera to start to play DV first.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite