sequence format for multiple video formats? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Major Player

sequence format for multiple video formats?

To create a sequence to edit multiple video formats on the same timeline (1440 x 1080, 1280 x 1080, 720 x 480), which sequence preset should I choose? 1920x1080 XDCAM EX?

The majority of video is 1280x1080.

The finished project 16:9 will be downconverted to full screen SD 4:3, so I'll be pan and scanning in a 4:3 "safe zone' in the middle of the 16:9 project.

thanks
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Personally I would start with an SD timeline and use the motion effect to scale, pan and zoom everything to SD format. However, if as you said the majority of your source is 1280x1080 square pixels, that is an alternative, but just make sure you don't uprez SD to HD and then downrez it again on export. That will give lousy results. No sense in starting with XDCAM-EX settings.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Major Player

i ran across this adobe video tutorial dealing with using multiple formats on the same timeline http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1510v1148
It says that it doesn't matter was size sequence you choose, it's only used to render the results so you can see them. the critical time to choose the size is when you export. in the mean time, all the elements are sort of "floating in the either". it isn't till you export that everything gets locked in to a particular pixel size.

I'm going to do a test to see if I choose a 1280x1080 sequence and use the MOTION settings to stretch an SD clip to fit - and then export to SD, will PPro just keep it the correct size? or will it look like it was upscaled and then downscaled, and so look worse.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Trustee

Uprezzing SD material is always a bad idea. It loses so much quality, especially since the scaler in PR is notoriously bad. That is why I suggested SD sequence settings in the first place.

Their tutorial is correct when you only use ONE format in a single sequence, then paste all sequences together in a new SD sequence and scale them accordingly, but what if you have an XDCAM shot, need to insert a SD shot and later add a HDV (720) shot all in the same sequence? Then you have trouble. I haven't tried it yet, but if you try it and report back on your findings, we can all learn from your experiences.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite